Big fish vs Small fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fenc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys!I would really appreciate if u help me with your opinions about stocking my 63g tank.I'm really having a hard time choosing.The only fish that i know that i am going to stock is my Bgk which i personally built with lots of stones its personal big cave!Furthermore i would also like to ask a silly question which i,ve been trying to find similar on google and no luck(maybe that is why i think of it as silly).What is the point of stocking big fish like oscars,jack dempseys,green terrors (big fish i personally love) while ua can make a well planted fish society with smaller fish who actually interact with each other and have a more obvious behavior and way of living and dont like to destroy your decoration(like dwarf cichlids or loaches etc etc).Is it a matter of size only?Anyway,thanks for ur attention and i am looking forward to your opinions about stocking it!

Hi guys!I would really appreciate if u help me with your opinions about stocking my 63g tank.I'm really having a hard time choosing.The only fish that i know that i am going to stock is my Bgk which i personally built with lots of stones its personal big cave!Furthermore i would also like to ask a silly question which i,ve been trying to find similar on google and no luck(maybe that is why i think of it as silly).What is the point of stocking big fish like oscars,jack dempseys,green terrors (big fish i personally love) while ua can make a well planted fish society with smaller fish who actually interact with each other and have a more obvious behavior and way of living and dont like to destroy your decoration(like dwarf cichlids or loaches etc etc).Is it a matter of size only?Anyway,thanks for ur attention and i am looking forward to your opinions about stocking it!

I think it's more of a personal choice then anything else. I know that for some members who have multiple tanks they do small in one large in the other. I myself have a 55 community and a 29 with larger angels and few rams (hopefully I will get the rams tomorrow)

Larger fish are sometimes considered more pet-like, which contributes to more personal interactions.

David

Mmmm 63 gallons seems a little small for a Black Ghost Knife... It's fine when it's young, but full grown I see most places suggest 75-100+ gallons due to the fact it can reach up to 2 feet long. Also, they rarely are good fit for community aquariums due to their predatory yet shy nature and intolerance of any water that is less than pristine. Their shyness means they tend to get outcompeted for food, at which point they start looking to their tankmates as potential meals. You'll find any of your smaller fish disappearing randomly at night when the BGK snacks on them while they sleep...

In short, they're very sensitive fish that rarely do well in your average fish keeper's aquarium... Please do a LOT of research to make sure you can provide for one before bringing it home.

Mmmm 63 gallons seems a little small for a Black Ghost Knife... It's fine when it's young, but full grown I see most places suggest 75-100+ gallons due to the fact it can reach up to 2 feet long. Also, they rarely are good fit for community aquariums due to their predatory yet shy nature and intolerance of any water that is less than pristine. Their shyness means they tend to get outcompeted for food, at which point they start looking to their tankmates as potential meals. You'll find any of your smaller fish disappearing randomly at night when the BGK snacks on them while they sleep...

In short, they're very sensitive fish that rarely do well in your average fish keeper's aquarium... Please do a LOT of research to make sure you can provide for one before bringing it home.

Excellent post :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom