Big mistake or not?!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spittinfly

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know, I know..... Another thread from this guy! :evil:

I'm sorry I feel like everybody else that just buys on instinct. I thought my wife liked the Chinese Algae Eaters but no it was the plecos. I have just been reading about the CAE's and they seem like a terrible mistake. Being quite aggressive and territorial. I got two of them in with my Platies and Mollies. Should I just return them and get a pleco or will I have to get a couple if they school. I don't have a lot of flat surfaces in my 35 gal hex except for the glass. Gotta do it fast, 7 day return policy. What is anyone elses experiences with these?

I recommend you return them. you obviously don't want them, and the LFS will take them back. No reason not to return them.

Well it's not that I wouldn't want them but now I am scared of them taking over my tank. I don't want the others quality of life to go down. If I am just overreacting I would love to keep them, they look pretty cool hanging around.

Return them. Unless they're with larger fish, they will get aggressive. I gave one to my friend, who has a larger tank. It doesn't seem to bother the fish that stay really small, but even fish like Platies and Mollies it will bother.

See if you can find a Siamese Algae Eater instead. They look similar, but are peaceful. It may be difficult to tell them apart from other fish. See this page for information on them.

I have a CAE, I kept him with community fish until he got to be 4". Now at almost 8" he is in with my african cichlids in a 125 gal tank. He is not at all aggressive in that tank, but he would eat the slime coat off of smaller more peaceful fish. Return him and get a dwarf pleco, not a common pleco. Common plecos get too large for most home aquariums.

Indeed, stay away from the common plecos. Those suckers (no pun intended) get huge.

img_820163_0_c290974c7c8a428da28d48447e58b603.jpg

Bristlenose plecos and clown plecos stay small and are good choices for smaller tanks.

Yes, most likely. I found that pic on google.

There are tons of them in Florida.

There are tons of everything in Florida. I used to catch Oscars in Fort Lauderdale, and I know there are whole canals full of Firemouths in Miami, among other things.

As far as the CAE's go, I would return them. I had a Clown Pleco that was just as cute as a bugs ear, never got bigger than about 3".

Thanks everyone. I checked them out and do have the CAE. I am going to return them but probably not until Mon-Tue. Will be out of town all weekend, Family Night at Lambeau Field GO PACK! (sorry)

Back
Top Bottom