Big Schooling fish for 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NJGourami

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an empty 55. What would you guys put in there? I already have a 75 full of semiagressive community fish and a 30 full of small fish. I was thinking a few larger fish like tinfoil barbs or balasharks. I want some big fish i think.

no largers than that huh. Nothing that gets into the 8 inch range?

a 55gal is only 12inches wide. Ideally, you don't want a school of 8in fish. Maybe a single 8-10 in fish. Picture yourself living in a tight closet...

That's up to you. Personally, I'd go with a school of a larger fish (as mentioned above) and then get a nice centerpiece fish - red-tailed shark, an angel, an eel of some sort, etc

depends on the specie. I am not that familiar with them, but I think fire eels get too big, but tire tracks or zig zags would be ok. Might want to look them up to be sure though.

I might suggest like 40 neon tetras...and 2 angels. :) Once those angels get big, they'll keep that tetra school together. :)

BTW, added thought, most schooling fish will stop schooling if there is nothing they pecieve as a threat in the tank. So get a larger semi-weak predator (why I suggested angelfish)

Won't the Angels actually snack on Neons, thus depleteing the population every chance they get? I would try something a bit larger than Neons that would still percieve something like an Angel as a possible predator.

Rummynose tetras would be a better option than Neons IMO....and are better schoolers. I'd go with 15-20 and some type of bigger fish, like Angels.

Or go with a school of 3-4" Rainbows.

I like the rainbow idea.

Boesmani or turquoise are my faovrites.

But intead of getting big fish, you can always get alot of small tightly schooling fish which will create the effect of big fish in a way.

Up to you, but i think you are better off staying in the centrepeice 6-8" and the other fish in the range up up to four inches.

the problem withonly schooling fish is that over time they will stop schooling unless they feel that there is a threat present.

Angels would snack on the neons, however, fairly slowly, enough that every few months you could restock the neon numbers with afew bucks.

thats a pointless waste of money to but it bluntly.

I wasn't stating to go with only schoolers, i was saying go with a feew largish centrepeice fish, and a large school of small fish, or a small school of large fish. Then get maybe a few fish that stay to themselves that are smaller, and some bottom feeders. THats what makes up a nice tank in my opinion.

crdinals would be a great option^^
my cardinals r still schooling after 1 month since i put my angel out of my 20 gal
i'd not suggest any angels in it though. ..they'll surely nip upon ur tetras, mine did, till 3 of them r dead
they're rather ferocious n they'll keep their territory for sure. .

My wife has schools of Congo and Red & Blue Columbian tetras in her 55. They have grown nicely, and school reasonably well. But they also spend quite a bit of time spread all over the tank, too.

Just remember that fish that are happy and secure school less - don't expect miracles as far as schooling behavior.

My fish school when I am in the room. I think I scare them still, which works out well for me because I could care less what they do when I'm not there as long as they're healthy. When I show up, it's magic time!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom