big time noob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peter101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi
im new to this forum but am a member at dozens of others :D
i just recently opted out of getting another freshwater ray tank and will make my new 90 a saltwater tank
i need all the help i can get! basically i need suggestions about filtration, skimmer, co2(needed for coral but not for LR so i understand), water changes (do i ned RO/DI water? or will tap water be fine?) heating etc. etc.
all of the equipement
and also some suggestions of fish
i like yellow tangs, and clowfish but they're prty much the only saltwater fish i know about!
looking to begin the research.
thanx in advance,
peter

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com... :)

I would definately suggest reading our >>articles<< section as well as buying a good beginners book that will help you along the way.... I would recommend this one for sure:

peter101 said:
need all the help i can get! basically i need suggestions about filtration, skimmer, co2(needed for coral but not for LR so i understand), water changes (do i ned RO/DI water? or will tap water be fine?) heating etc. etc.
all of the equipement
For a reef tank your best filtration will be from within the tank, mainly LR and a sand substrate. The skimmer will greatly depend on if you incorporate a sump into the set up or opt for a refugium...
CO2 is unneccessary unless running a reactor. RO/DI will always be your safest bet and although TO has good standards for drinking water, it may not be up to snuff for a reef tank. The heater will need to be about 250-300w for that size tank and titanium.

peter101 said:
i like yellow tangs, and clowfish but they're prty much the only saltwater fish i know about!
looking to begin the research.
There are indeed many fish available but not all will be reef compatible nor will they all co-exist. What I would suggest is looking through the many on-line sites that include brief info and pics on the various animals available. Please take their recommendations with a grain of salt as they are very general and I am by no means recommending that particular site.

While you are planning, I would also be preparing a good quarantine set up for your future fish additions as well...

HTH
Cheers
Steve

RO/DI water is better sooner than later!!! I learned that the hard way, algae blooms, etc. I recomend STARTING with it.

Back
Top Bottom