Biggest Bang for my Buck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally done with rescape!

Whoo hoo, finally had time to tackle this project this weekend! I painted my tank back flat black (no more lame-o laminate paper), switched out the substrate for eco-complete, and rescaped the whole thing! With adding a few new fish recently (some emperor tetras and platies) it looks like a whole new tank.

And my husband decided I needed a water changer for my birthday present...he understands I'm a fish nerd now.

Paint job on tank back (black spray paint)
60217-albums12230-picture55325.jpg

New scape with eco-complete (added Java moss to driftwood and moved ALL the plants)
60217-albums12230-picture55326.jpg

Rock garden at front corner
60217-albums12230-picture55329.jpg

Wow Tex! It's gorgeous! Your off center and placing of the DW couldn't be better. The rocks are great too. I'm a fan of DW and rock work in the same tank also. ENJOY. IMO you couldn't have done better! OS.

Wow Tex! It's gorgeous! Your off center and placing of the DW couldn't be better. The rocks are great too. I'm a fan of DW and rock work in the same tank also. ENJOY. IMO you couldn't have done better! OS.

Thanks so much!! I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I got a lot of the idea from this aquascaping article: http://www.thegreenmachineonline.co...position-the-golden-ratio-creating-perspectiv

I'm excited to see how it does over time as my plants fill in more!

The green machine site is very cool! I just ordered some of the Tropica plants they carry that we can't get over here. They said they ship worldwide, so we'll see. Very expensive. Hope I don't get soaked. Not sure how well the plants will take shipping from the UK. They had some Alternantheria Reinikii 'mini' that I am dying to try. Supposed to make a gorgeous low red hedge. If it's a good buying experience, I'll let E1 know. OS

The green machine site is very cool! I just ordered some of the Tropica plants they carry that we can't get over here. They said they ship worldwide, so we'll see. Very expensive. Hope I don't get soaked. Not sure how well the plants will take shipping from the UK. They had some Alternantheria Reinikii 'mini' that I am dying to try. Supposed to make a gorgeous low red hedge. If it's a good buying experience, I'll let E1 know. OS

Oh wow, sounds cool. Someday I'll get brave enough to order more exotic types of plants!

I was wondering what grade of eco complete you used. I have a planted aquarium with pool filter sand but I want something darker and more beneficial for the plants, but I prefer the look of sand to gravel. But it looks nice in the pictures you posted. Thanks

I was wondering what grade of eco complete you used. I have a planted aquarium with pool filter sand but I want something darker and more beneficial for the plants, but I prefer the look of sand to gravel. But it looks nice in the pictures you posted. Thanks

Hi Shark, I'm not sure what grade it is as I ordered it off of Amazon.com and they only offered the one type. It's a pretty good sized gravelish looking texture though, much finer than the gravel I used to have but certainly not fine like sand. I like it though because it doesn't get sucked up easily during water changes. I was able to vacuum up some waste during my water change this week without really disturbing the substrate at all which was very nice.

And I LOVE the black color. My plants and fish really pop against it. It also has a very cool effect where the light penetrates the top inch or so of the substrate and the layer below it is all black - so you can really see elevation changes against the glass of the tank.

I've only had it for a little while, but I would really recommend it. Besides, you can't beat not having to rinse it or anything when you put it in your tank...

Back
Top Bottom