Biggest fish I can keep in a 75 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piebaldblue

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently got a 75 gal setup from a relative. I'm doing a complete restart and am looking into (a) fish that can live their whole life perfectly happy in that size tank.

So far I have found an Oscar or Severum can live in a 75, but would like to know if there are any other options.

I am willing to mold the setup aroud the fish I end up choosing, so I don't have concrete ideas of what I want the scape to be like. So far I like the idea of keeping it as a hardscape, with very few, if any, plants. White sand and dim lighting also seem appealing. But again I will work with the fishes needs.

So any suggestions for large fish?

(The setup came with a fluval 306 canister and I expect that I will need more filtration.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A knifefish can get around 20". But they're pretty specific as far as tankmates go.
A common pleco can get up to 24ish".
I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that both of these would be happy in a 75.

If you're wanting to go cold water, then a koi or two would be a good option. They've been known to get up to 36", but I wouldn't count on them getting quite that big. Comets or shubunkins can get up to 12".

If you're wanting to go more of a cichlid route, then oscars, severums, firemouths, and jack dempseys are all pretty decently sized, but I would hesitate to put in more than one in a 75.

Cheers

None of the fish you suggest work in a 75 except the cichlids you mentioned.

I wouldn't put anything bigger than 14 inches in a 75 and definitely nothing too active (like a comet goldfish)

Yeah, I wouldn't feel too good about koi, plecos, or commets because I already know they are too active or will get too big for anything less than a pond. The previous owner kept small koi in the tank and even at that size it was pretty clear they were limited/cramped in the 75.

I hadn't thought of knifefish before, but they are pretty cool. I may look more into their care and needs.

Docile or slower moving big fish are super appealing to me, so I'm glad at least what I prefer might actually be the better options.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom