Bill's 12 Long - A Rimless Iwagumi Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well since I accidentally posted this on dans thread, here it is again just for the record... Haha

Not much to do since I'm waiting for things to arrive. So I went out and got a new surge protector, and wired everything super neat. I'm extremely anal about stuff like this, as you can probably tell.

That looks really nice. How'd you attach the power bar?

The filter, heater, and some extra stones I ordered came in today. I got the filter and heater setup with clear vinyl tubing, just waiting for the lily pipes to come in.

I've never used a canister filter before. The instructions say it must be directly below the tank. Is it okay to have it off to the right about a foot or two, rather than directly under the tank? I'm trying to keep it semi hidden, since the stand is open bottom. Also, what media setups do you guys recommend?

Wasn't that clear vinyl tubing hard to put on that sucker? LOL... Well for me at least it was. Anyway, I think it would be fine a foot or two to the side as long as there's no kinks in the tubing and they're only bent slightly. Mine is to the right, but only by 1/2 a foot but below the tank. I think the instructions meant that the canister just needs to be below the tank, just not level with the tank because it uses siphoning power along with the impeller to move water.

I use all the stock media it came with but I added a small bag of biomax to the ceramic media basket that I had sitting in my other tank to "seed" the filter and get it cycled fast. I also added in the chamber where the activated carbon goes a bag of Purigen instead. But this was way after my tank had cycled. Lastly, I believe my last layer, I added some filter floss to help polish the water of the finer particulates. But out of the box, I think the media it comes with is good. Just seed it from your other tank and you're good to go.

It was a little tricky to get it started, but once I got it over the edge, it wasn't too bad. Are you happy with the purigen? I don't ever run carbon, so I was thinking of using purigen. And you have the filter floss in the same chamber as the purigen? Just sitting right on top of the bag? I'm thinking that's the setup I'll go with as well. It sounds good.

Ohhh I can't wait for my lily pipes...I'm out of funds right now tho! Good filter media setup, in my 60g's large canister I have some polishing pads in the bottom tray, biomax (ceramic rings) in the second, a bunch of bio balls in the third, and some purigen and a handful of filter floss in the first...gets LOTS of dirt I have to clean every month hah..but yeah sounds good!

Ohhh I can't wait for my lily pipes...I'm out of funds right now tho! Good filter media setup, in my 60g's large canister I have some polishing pads in the bottom tray, biomax (ceramic rings) in the second, a bunch of bio balls in the third, and some purigen and a handful of filter floss in the first...gets LOTS of dirt I have to clean every month hah..but yeah sounds good!

I went with eBay knock offs... I hope they fit. I'm a little worried they might be too tall because this tank is so shallow! I guess we'll see whenever they make it here!

I went with eBay knock offs... I hope they fit. I'm a little worried they might be too tall because this tank is so shallow! I guess we'll see whenever they make it here!

Yeah I was looking at the ones on eBay...but I think I want to save up for the cal aqua labs 13mm nano pipes that Brian has, so I know they will work lol. Oh I can't wait for this tank to start up! If you need anymore AS let me know once yours comes in...I want to make sure my tank is set before I give the rest away lol!

Yeah well if you recall my thread, I ran those VERY STYLISH Fluval pipes for quite a while before I FINALLY got the lily pipes! But I guess you're going to wait for them before you flood the tank? Or are you going to do DSM?

But yes, Purigen is suppose to be the best. But I'm no scientist and I can't honestly tell you if it really works. But based on reviews and it turning brown when you have to 'recharge' it, I suppose it's absorbing the nasty stuff it's suppose to. However, don't add it until a good time after your tank has cycled. It interferes with the cycle process. Also, the Purigen is real tiny.. I was able to get some media bags for less than a buck at Petsmart with a fine mesh for it. Works great and much cheaper than "the bag" by Seachem.

Hahaha thanks Brian. The lily pipes shipped from china Jan 29th, so they should be here soon. I'm not gonna go with the DSM. I'll check out that media bag and purigen when I get a chance. I'm going to plant and flood the tank once all my glassware gets here. I still need to go get my co2 tank filled as well. I think the plant list is just going to be HC and a few patches of DHG around the main rock structures. I don't mind the hair grass spreading, and mixing with the HC to a point. If it gets too bad ill just have to pull it up.

Sound good! Can't wait... We have a double-header here... Dan's and Billbug's Iwagumi builds... I think I need to do a popcorn :popcorn: run pretty soon...It's getting more exciting. LOL

Back
Top Bottom