Bill's 12 Long - A Rimless Iwagumi Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The background you put on looks phenomenal!

Also, how many stones are you going with for this?

Thank you so much. If it wasn't for Brian, I would never have thought of it though. Not sure how many stones I'll end up using. I have plenty to mess around with. 4 larger stones, a couple medium size, and several small stones. I might have to combine the smaller stones to make a the appearance of some larger ones. Hopefully you guys will see the hardscape start this evening.

Thank you so much. If it wasn't for Brian, I would never have thought of it though. Not sure how many stones I'll end up using. I have plenty to mess around with. 4 larger stones, a couple medium size, and several small stones. I might have to combine the smaller stones to make a the appearance of some larger ones. Hopefully you guys will see the hardscape start this evening.

Gotcha. I feel as though with a tank of that length, playing with the negative space can go a long way. But I'm excited to see what you do with it!

Gotcha. I feel as though with a tank of that length, playing with the negative space can go a long way. But I'm excited to see what you do with it!

I'll definitely be playing with the negative space. My "large" stones, are really not all that large. They seem to be well proportioned to the size of the tank. The negative space is going to play a big part for me in sitting back and enjoying the tank. I can't wait to kick back on the couch and see the green neons darting back and forth in this thing!

I'll definitely be playing with the negative space. My "large" stones, are really not all that large. They seem to be well proportioned to the size of the tank. The negative space is going to play a big part for me in sitting back and enjoying the tank. I can't wait to kick back on the couch and see the green neons darting back and forth in this thing!

A great background plant for you to use is Rotala Wallichii. Nice feathery leaves with bright red and yellow accents especially under the light you have. Gotta love Finnex :) That and perhaps some Blyxa for some contrast to it? I personally have not kept Blyxa though.

First go, I believe there are nine stones.

Attachments

• image-1856034017.jpg
    image-1856034017.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 158
  • image-1477589019.jpg
    image-1477589019.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 148
  • image-711154475.jpg
    image-711154475.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 157
  • image-769810970.jpg
    image-769810970.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 171
Wow.. Looking good! I'm really diggin that background. The way the light reflects on it creates a nice subtle glow effect. I think I'm going to have to use that idea some day!

You don't want me to have to draw it for you now do ya!?! ;) Haha.. J/K

I think you really nailed it off the bat. I suppose if I had to throw SOMETHING out there, perhaps more pronounced slopes on the sides? The one on the left seems higher, but then again, I suppose it's more natural to be asymmetrical? I think that small rock on the left/middle can be brought back more to the left to make more use of that negative space in the middle -- sort of like a valley area there instead. I don't know... I still think it looks fine the way it is. But those are just some suggestions.

I think you really nailed it off the bat. I suppose if I had to throw SOMETHING out there, perhaps more pronounced slopes on the sides? The one on the left seems higher, but then again, I suppose it's more natural to be asymmetrical? I think that small rock on the left/middle can be brought back more to the left to make more use of that negative space in the middle -- sort of like a valley area there instead. I don't know... I still think it looks fine the way it is. But those are just some suggestions.

I hadn't thought about the asymmetry like that. Interesting. :)

Hahaha. I still have to mess with the substrate a little. It's a little too deep up front. I'll take some more pics so you can see how drastic the slopes are. The left side being higher was intentional, btw.

Thanks for the input everyone, I was terrified to ask for criticism! I don't usually take it very well... ;)

The only thin I can think of, as minute as it is, is that I really want the "big" rock on the right to have more of a point? It just seems too rounded/flat with the others around it.

Although that rock with some sharp plants like Blyxa behind it may look really nice.

The only thin I can think of, as minute as it is, is that I really want the "big" rock on the right to have more of a point? It just seems too rounded/flat with the others around it.

Although that rock with some sharp plants like Blyxa behind it may look really nice.

Aw man... I liked how that stone was flat... Lol, maybe I can rotate it. I was also thinking of swapping positions with the large rock just to its left. Thanks! :D

Back
Top Bottom