bio-load in substrata

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I changed out a 20g and a 30g from gravel to a combination play sand and pool filter sand (please no sand wars).

I basically did a full water change, kept the old filter media in place and wet. About how long should I wait to test the water? I am thinking about bed time. Give the time for the fish to poop and see how well it is handeling teh bio-load?

Only 3 or 4 fish in the 30g so I know the bio-load there will not be much of a problem with just the HOB filter. I can drop out maybe 8 from the 20g tank into a newly cycled tank if I get too bad of a spike.

So far all the fish seemed a bit stressed out. But are exploring now and seem a lot more calmed down... out exploring the new lay out and seem more happy but not as they were before the whole thing.

How worried should I be about the bacteria not being in the substara anymore?

I wouldnt worry about it.. Think about the bacteria in the filter media and decor...as long as you kept it wet... you did keep it wet right? The first tank i put pfs in had gravel, i stuck the fish in a bucket, changed it out, and never had a problem with my parameters... I was heavily stocked too...

yeah that is what I did. Also added a few new pieces of diftwood in the 20. The 30 I removed two pieces of decor though.

Dude, my Chinese AE, jumped out of the bucket when I was netting out the other fish. Being a gentleman I will not say what he was acting like when I bagged him, needless to say he was floating in his own bag.

I forgot to put a heater in the bucket. Remembered to do it after about 15 mins after I started.....

I did a 90%+ water change so I went through a scaled down re-acclamation thing. 15 mins for temp, 15 mins with a cup of new water mixed in.

Did stop by the LFS on the way home from getting the sand. We have had a cold snap and might explain why the fish in my 30g were dying off. When I went to change out the water it was a bit cold, so my heater might have bit the dust. I added in a spare I picked up from a shop that was going out of business.

I wouldnt worry about it.. Think about the bacteria in the filter media and decor...as long as you kept it wet... you did keep it wet right? The first tank i put pfs in had gravel, i stuck the fish in a bucket, changed it out, and never had a problem with my parameters... I was heavily stocked too...
still might get a mini cycle. i would check it once a day for 3-4 days.

still might get a mini cycle. i would check it once a day for 3-4 days.

.25 ammonia so did a 30% on both tanks... Also when I got home looked liek some reddening of the gills so added an extra sponge filter to one tank to try to help out.

left a poor zebra and in a bucket over night, some how missed him when I was netting the fish back into the 20g :( he survived the bucket but was bad off and dying when I got home :(. Wasn't thinking and tossed him in the tank without acclimating him :(... was more worried about him freezing to death in the bucket.

yeah also added a sponge filter from another tank just to help out in the mean time.

Back
Top Bottom