Bio load question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick862

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I have a 175L corner bow front with 1.5 inch sand bed and 21kg of live rock, no sump just a canister filter, tanks been running about 8 months and no major problems as of yet. i have 2 clowns about a inch and a half big, a fire fish about an inch and a wrasse about 2 inch, if I add more live rock will that raise my bio load? Can I add 2 more fish? This is a nano tank so it's not like I'm thinking of adding any Tangs or angel fish. Any I ideas on what I could add? Maybe some thing that would eat hair algae or some thing that would turn the sand over. Cheers

Adding rock only provides more filtration and doesn't add to the bio-load. Things that increase the bio-load are things that swim, absorb oxygen, and poop - excluding inverts for the most part. Good reef tanks typically have 1.5 to 2 lbs of rock per gallon of water with good results.

I'd like to know what your nitrate levels are before recommending more fish. Think about a goby to hang out at the bottom near the rock cave openings. Bi-color blenny (very personable fish by the way) maybe that's hang out on the top of the rocks and check ouot everybody swimming by. Cool fish indeed.

Urm i dont consider 175l tank to be nano. I have a 25 litre tank and that is a nano and I almost have same stocking level as you

I have fire fish, clown and damsel with 2 crabs and several soft corals.

You could add alot more fish to that tank, just make sure you have sufficient filtration / live rock etc

Back
Top Bottom