Bioload of a frog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ejaramillo01

Aquarium Advice Addict
My son has been asking me to add a frog to his tank, he has a 10G tank, fully cycled, the readings are 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 20 Nitrates, pH 7.6, and water temperature is about 78 degrees.

He has 1 betta, 1 Siamese algae eater, 1 Apple Snail, and now wants a frog, I think that is an African frog.

I don't know anything about frogs, a 10G tank is good size for a frog? What they normally eat? How much is the frog bioload versus a fish? Higher or lower?

Thanks for your answers

Is it an African Dwarf frog or an African Clawed frog? There are more than one type of "African frog." That would help to have that info.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

A 10 gallon is a perfect size for a African dwarf frog (2.5 gallons is the minimum for one). Since ADF's are meat eaters, you could feed them thawed bloodworms or brine shrimp (not freeze dried, can cause blockages). The only thing I see with these frogs in a community tank is that you would probably have to hand feed them (Not able to compete for food). The frogs bio-load would be less.

As for a ACF, They can fit in a 10 gallon but will most likely eat the betta and Siamese algae eater. They can eat a variety of live, pelleted and frozen food (also avoid freeze dried food). Their bioload would probably be bigger considering its size.

African clawed frogs(acf) get very large and will eventually eat all the fish in your tank and will out grow the tank. I would recommend getting the African dwarf frogs(ADF) they only grow 1-1.5 inches. I have my frog in with neon tetras, and he hasn't eaten them. They live to eat black worms. Especially live. They need to be fed there own food. Not fish food. They hunt by smell, as their eye sight is very poor. It is recommended to have a little plastic lid in the tank and always drop the food on the lid. The frogs are not smart but will remember where the food is put. If a lid int being used then it is best to drop the food as close to the mouth as possible. Fish will get to the food before the frog so make sure he or she is eating. African frogs are 100% aquatic, they should not be taken out if the water. They breathe air so a deep tank isn't recommended. They are sensitive to poor water quality(keep up with the water changes). They are jumpers, so make sure he/she can't jump out if the tank. They also like low light and are nocturnal. A hiding place should be provided. As well as plant coverage.

Sent from my iPhone

When you go to purchase the frog(if you decide he/she is right for you, dont let the LFS trick you, they try to sell you clawed frogs under the pretense of being the dwarf frogs. The main difference that you must take note if us the feet and hands. The dwarf frog has both the front and back legs webbed. The clawed frog has no webbing in the front hands. African dwarf frogs cone in one color only. Dark brown. Dont let them tell you other wise.

Sent from my iPhone

Another question Luna

Just another question Luna,

This morning as was thinking in how to use your idea about the plastic lid to feed the frog (we have not purchased, just planning ahead), and I don't get it, can you explain me better (sorry I'm slow) how exactly works that thing of the plastic lid and dropping the food in the same spot?

Sorry and thanks
:cool:

The frogs have very bad eye sight, so what you want to do is teach them to go to the same spot for food. A tiny little lid works just fine, like the lid to a crouton cup thing. Or a plastic water bottle cap. He/she will smell it and go towards it. Try to feed at the same time everyday. It is okay to fast your frog once a week.
Another feeding method is using a turkey baster.

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom