Bitten by the bug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kefner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so I just scored a 60 gallon Clear for Life acrylic tank. It has all the chambers in the back and a pump built in. I've been reading all the posts on here and have been searching the web for more info. Yet I have a few questions. I also have a 29 gallon Eclipse that I have setup for low light and it's going pretty well.

Questions:

I think I"m going with ceramic rings for the bio-media in the 60 gallon, but how much do I use?

Also I'm going with pressized CO2 (thanks to homebrewing). Will I be able to use a DYI reactor for this size tank?

Also will the pump that is in the tank already suffice for my needs? I'm not sure the specs on it, I'll try to find more info on it to post later.

Once I get all of this figured out, I'll be able to start ordering the supplies and build my wall stand (to put on the 60, 29 and 5 gallon) against along with custom lighting.

Thanks in advance.

Kefner

As far as bio-media goes, I think it's always best to cram in as much as you can get away with without totally killing your flowrates or anything like that.

It seems the general consensus is that you can use CO2 on any size tank given suitable lighting and that reactors are a must if you want to get the most out of your CO2 production or tank. Which DIY reactor design did you have in mind?

I'm not at all familiar with Clear-For-Life products. I would hope that the built-in pump is worthy, but, more often than not, pumps are greatly over-rated. Try to get a model number and google it, or post it on AA to see if anyone knows about it.

Good luck and welcome to AA!

For your filter media it is generally recommended to get a tiered system. Your ceramic rings are excellent for bacterial colonization (biological filtering), but you need a sponge or filter floss inline before the ceramic to provide mechanical filtration to pull out the plant debris and other junk that gets sucked up. This is especially important in a planted tank where you will always have leaves falling off.

A DIY system is not really viable on a 60gallon. Yes it can be done, you've just gone over the normal breaking point of 30-50 gallons where you begin to see better returns as well as ease of use with going pressurized. It is a large upfront cost, but the benefits are guaranteed stable CO2 levels (most important), as well as lower maintainence.

Your stand will need to handle an incredible amount of weight, so please make sure you head over to the DIY part of this forum and seriously hammer out the details so that you don't end up with a lot of broken glass!

Goodluck. :)

There are several DIY CO2 Reactors that can be used with Pressurized CO2.

Welcome to AA and the wonderful world of planted tankdom. I wholeheartedly agree with the advice given regarding the media stacking. Until I knew better, I had the filter floss in my canister last (final stage). The accumulation of debris in my bio stage was unbelievable. :shock:

Since that time, the pads are first, followed by the floss and then the bio. Everything looks so much better with that arrangement.

You mention you desire a low-light tank. Can you provide specifics on your current lighting and plant selections?

Yeah, I'm definately going with a pressurized system for CO2.

7Enigma~
I'm really just wanting to use the "filter" system in the back of the tank. I'll take some pics and post them. The tank is more for a SW system with all the chambers and what not.

I've pretty much spec'd out all the parts and stuff I need right now for it. Once I get the sketches done for what I'm thinking of, I'm going to start a journal with pics.

Jchillin~
I have a low-light right now. Actually I can't say that, cause it was in the path of some sunlight, which caused the Val. & Sag. to grow nicely. Now I have moved the tank to the far wall in the house and all the plants have died as currently the tank is about 1 wpg. Which is fine for me, as once I get the 60 up and running, the 29 is next.

Back
Top Bottom