Black algae like film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flyfisher110

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We had our 20 gal aquarium for about 2 months, do about a 25% water change every week. Add ½ tsp Equilibrium, 10 ml Cycle, and 10 ml Waste Control. About 2 weeks ago the glass and plastic plants and filter started getting a black algae like film on them. I cleaned the glass and all plants, and in 4 days the film was back.
I have a med size Fluval Mopani Driftwood in the tank it discoloured the water, could this be the problem.
Can anyone help. Thanks Gord

Hi Gord, do you have a picture?

I'm leaning towards cyano bacteria -AKA Blue Green Algae.

Chemiclean blue green slime remover works wonders.

Increase flow, increase water changes, decrease light, remove decomposing organics and feed sparingly are the best ways to keep it away.

These are all helpful and will start doing them. Thanks
The artificial lights are on 6 ½ hours a day but the tank sun light from sun up to sun down. (No direct sun light) Would turn them off all together help.

These are all helpful and will start doing them. Thanks
The artificial lights are on 6 ½ hours a day but the tank sun light from sun up to sun down. (No direct sun light) Would turn them off all together help.

Try and limit the natural sunlight, the lights on the tank set for 6.5 is fine. You can drop to 5 hours a day if you want.

Back
Top Bottom