Black algae on my plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is black beard algae. The only way to get rid of it on your plants is to remove the affected leaved. I had a bad case of it. It was on my heater and down spout on my filter and on my glass and plants. I Scraped it off the glass and down spout and soak any equipment affected in white vinigar and hot water I used a ratio of 2 parts vinigar and one part hot water. You want to make sure you remove it all or it will come back.

Hydrogen peroxide treatments can be effective. In a nutshell, you shut off any pumps and filters, use a plastic syringe to spot treat the affected areas, let it sit for 15-20 minutes, and then restart the pumps/filters. After a few days the BBA will go through a series of color changes as they die off.
Mind you, this is a short term fix. It may come back unless the underlying cause is addressed.

It is on the roots as well and I don't want to do any major treatment in the tank as I have discus in it

Spot treating with H2O2 is localized so you are not treating the entire water column. H2O2 breaks down into water and oxygen.
How much water is being changed each week? BBA, from what I understand, is caused by a combination of light and an accumulation of inorganic waste. I'm dealing with it in my Planted tank and fortunately it is only on the hardscape.

Back
Top Bottom