Black algae on plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boadams87

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got something on my plants that looks like black hair? Does anyone know what this is? And how'd I get rid of it!!!

If it is BBA (search for pics and compare) then it is usually caused by too low CO2 with too high lights. Low flow can also help it along. It can overtake your aquarium pretty quickly if you don't get it under control. Manually remove all that you can, it does not come off easily. Spot treating with Excel or hydrogen peroxide can help kill it off. To get it off of plants you can do Excel or hydrogen peroxide dips to kill it then it will be easier to remove after it dies. Sometimes it is best to remove the leaves that are really badly covered. I removed it from one of my tanks once by spot treating and double dosing Excel for a few week, along with manual removal where I could.

There are a couple of types of Freshwater Rhodophyta. A picture would help in determining which species it is. (A good picture)

You tank specs would help in figuring out the cause.

It came in in a plant that a friend gave me. Its a 55. I've got a regular t5 light . All my readings are good. I've got 2 hob filters.

You sound like you have the same problem I do....I have alot of "hair algae" and had a big algae bloom, so I am in the process also, of process of elemenation..
I just did a very large water change..to get my mineral levels back up ( because I was using rodi water...and I am thinking that was one of my problems) and added a bigger DYI system ( using 2 2-ltr bottles instead of 1 1/2 ltr bottle) and I shut my lights down to only 2 lights for 11 hrs..I might go to 10 hrs... instead of having the high daytime for 4 hrs in the middle there...
Like I said it is process of elemenation and read read read.....These people on here seem to know there stuff...:)

boadams87 said:
I've got something on my plants that looks like black hair? Does anyone know what this is? And how'd I get rid of it!!!

You can treat them with excel (liquid CO2), I did it and improved, but I just started to add CO2 (gas) to my tank to see if I can eliminate it or at least minimize it..

ejaramillo01 said:
You can treat them with excel (liquid CO2), I did it and improved, but I just started to add CO2 (gas) to my tank to see if I can eliminate it or at least minimize it..

Excel is not liquid co2. Liquid co2 has to be kept under pressure.

Back
Top Bottom