Black background or Busy background?.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I looooove my black background. It is actually painted on (on the back). I think it makes all the colors in the tank pop, especially if its planted.

I assume you have light colored fish? If you have any dark ones they'll get lost against a black background. Otherwise, I'd always vote for plain over busy. But then, my tank has no background at all!

Have always used black. It sets off the stuff in the tank so much better. And I've never found a "busy background" that didn't look fake.

black for me as well, I'll be painting my new tank that I get as that is a much better route than trying to tape on a background.

i use black poster board aswell. very cheap and easy. but my next tank will be painted. i like the textured paints u can but and really want to try them.

Yep, I have a black poster background on one of my tanks. This houses quite brightly coloured fish along with some nice plants so it works quite well but as someone said if you've got something like black mollys or whatnot then don't expect to see 'em easily lol

Well i went and bought a black poster board and it does make things stand out (A LOT!!) I didnt expect much difference ..but WOW....thanks all!!...

I have always just painted them Black with latex paint. The bad thing about that is that if anything like a filter stand-off rests on it, it can stick to it and pull off. The good points are non-toxic, can be touched up quickly, and it comes off super easy when you want it to. I just wet it w/ hot water and it peels off in one big rubbery piece. The other thing I have done is used self-adhesive black sign lettering vinyl (I work in the trade so I always have access to it). This is the best, as it is water proof & durable, but for the layperson to go buy it it is expensive. A quart of semi-gloss latex or acrylic paint is less than $4 and will do many tanks.

I used matte black Rustoleum spray paint. The guy at Home Depot suggested sanding the glass, but that scared me. I just went ahead and taped it off, sprayed away, and got great results.

Sanding the glass would make the paint stick better -- important if you want your results to be permanant. However, if you want to be able to wash or scrape off the paint when you want a new style, don't sand!

You should check out LoneWolfBlue's wonderfull thread on his 29 gallon planted tank. He has a wonderful painting idea. I love the black background, but some fish like mollies or BGKs would get lost on it. I have tried this, and this kind of paint stays when you want it to and peels off with a razor blade (it actually kinda peeled off like tape in the end).

Back
Top Bottom