Black Cherry Barb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bckean

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got 4 new cherry barbs over the weekend (2 males, 2 females.) they are all acting fine and whatnot, but both of my males are turning black in color. i tried looking it up online but no luck. anyone know why this is happening? and should i be worried!? thanks!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395199133.849876.jpg

Hi welcome :). Does seem a little quick if I understand timing. It would be good to check a couple of things.

It sounds like they were red and have been progressively turning black? Where did it start?

It would be worth posting your water conditions (ammonia, ph, nitrite and nitrate) but particularly ammonia. Preferably from liquid based test (not strips) if you have one?

Also how long as the tank been set up and size plus if you have made any other changes or if any chemicals could have been added? This just helps cross things off.

it started from the fins. ive had the tank for about a month and they were the first fish i put in (with a pleco as well.) i let it cycle for about 3 weeks. there are a bunch of live plants in the tank as well. i need to go get testing strips still.

Thanks for the information back. When you get a test kit, I would recommend a liquid based test kit like API freshwater master test kit (first link below - just an example as having server issues). The test strips tend to be wrong and I would not buy those (they often under read). I would get the liquid based test kit as soon as possible.

How did you cycle for three weeks? My thought is that the tank hasn't cycled properly or the new fish have caused a mini-cycle until the bacteria can catch up (converting waste ammonia to nitrIte to nitrAte). This is why the test kit is essential. There is more information in the next three links below.

If there has been a buildup of ammonia then ammonia burns are possible. It depends on the ph but those signs suggest that to me. When you get the test kit, test the tank water and also the water you use for tank partial water changes (e.g. tap water). If you use tap water, let it sit in a container for 24 hrs to de-gas, etc so you can get an accurate reading of ph. Also take a reading straight away so you know what the baseline is for ammona, nitrIte and NitrAte.

Next one is how often are you doing a water change and how much? Usually 25 to 50% per week is suggested depending on tank stocking. If you are doing tank-in cycling (and it sounds like it) then you could need daily water changes to keep ammonia, then nitrIte down. I would suggest a partial water change now of 50%.

What sort of tank size and filter do you have?

Age of Aquariums - API Freshwater Master Test Kit

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

thank you so much for all the info! my tank is 36g and i have a marineland bio wheel 200 filter. im doing a big water change once a week (about half the tank) but theres no hood on the tank right now so im adding fresh water a couple times a week as it evaporates pretty fast.

That all sounds good for the tank and filter :) And adding fish slowly is the best way for fish-in cycling so the bacteria can catch up so well done.

Actually I'm a little surprised now but it doesn't sound bacterial, fungal or parasites. One other issue could of been if you had to travel a long way home with the fish and ammonia increased in the bag or the fish were very recent at the store - can take a little while to show.

Getting the test kit now anyways I would rate as top of the list. That way you can check the tank and tap water and go from there.

Edit: also if a lot of evaporation, you may be able to get a plastic cover. I use perspex for that reason but it does cut down on the light into the tank a bit.

alright, ill have to go get one after work tomorrow! thanks for all your help!:)

Back
Top Bottom