Black Diamond trick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rumpolphoreskin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
For my first dirted tank I soaked my black diamond blasting media for about a month, rinsing on alternate days.

I still found a film on my tank's surface.
Part of this I attribute to the black sand being a coal by-product (fossil fuel).

On my second dirted tank I added about an ounce of dish detergent to the water in the black diamond's rinse pail.
I continued to rinse the sand for about three months, changing water about once a week.

In my second tank no surface film developed.

I'd definitely rinse the black diamond with detergent again.

For my first dirted tank I soaked my black diamond blasting media for about a month, rinsing on alternate days.

I still found a film on my tank's surface.
Part of this I attribute to the black sand being a coal by-product (fossil fuel).

On my second dirted tank I added about an ounce of dish detergent to the water in the black diamond's rinse pail.
I continued to rinse the sand for about three months, changing water about once a week.

In my second tank no surface film developed.

I'd definitely rinse the black diamond with detergent again.

Yeah, don't ever use detergent to wash things in a fish tank. It's HIGHLY toxic to fish.

Instead just use a hose. Took me about a hour to wash a 50lb bag at about 5 - 10 lbs at a time in a rubbermaid tote and 0 surface film.

I rinsed mine pretty thoroughly and didn't have any issues with surface film, just a couple of floating pieces. That stuff has a stink when you're cleaning it though haha

I just rinsed mine. Had a bit of film, but I'm running an Eheim Ecco canister on my rimless 10g...so the film went away.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of points:
1. I put dish detergent in my blasting media in August and rinsed the water (weekly) until December.
2. Most importantly I checked the tank last night and there is surface film - so the detergent is moot point.

Gotta keep it real.

When I capped my gravel with sand, I filled a 500ml bottle with dry, unwashed sand. Submerged it in the tank and let the water fill the bottle. Once the water fills the bottle, turn the bottle upside down. The sand falls down and the dirt goes up in the bottle. When all the sand is out of the bottle, quickly put your finger in the bottle opening. Pour out the cloudy water. Refill with sand and repeat. Easy...works like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dcut,
I've seen that trick and I like it.
I'm thinking the slick is from the media rather than the rinsing technique (just guessing though).

Mebbid, good point! I have a surface extractor on my tank. I'll bet that is what the OP needs.

Yeah. A surface skimmer will suck all that yucky film off of the surface and allow for a better gas exchange at the surface. As far as brands go? Fluval has one that works well and is fairly inexpensive. I have an Eheim surface extractor that cost $45 plus I had to buy a Tee and add some more hose. Having said that, the Fluval has good reviews. NOTE: surface skimmers get clogged with plant matter every now and then.

You can diy one here

Or just increase your surface agitation. All aquariums produce the protein film but most agitate the surface enough that it can't build up.

Back
Top Bottom