Black ghost knife question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SirCastic

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok so i had planned on getting a 90 gallon tank and sticking a BGK with some tropicals, wasn't enough room. currently i'm getting a 125 gallon tank setup, Soo i rehomed some fish and now i think i can fit the BGK in (Hopefully) So i'm planning the 125 (Haven't Got it yet) Currently in my 55 i have, 1 Electric blue crayfish, 6 mollies, 3 platies, 5 tiger barbs, 5 giant danios, 1 stick catfish, 1 bushynose pleco, 2 Australian rainbows, 4 glass catffish and 5 ghost shrimp. I want to know if i can Put a BGK in the 125 with the fish i have listed? Or should i stick some more tropicals in the 125?

The BGK will eat the shrimp so consider them goners, no ifs ands or buts. It may also eat some of the other fish if it gets a hankering to do so. The largest fish Toothless (my BGK) has taken out thus far is a Preacox Rainbow (~2.5 inches) and he is only about six inches. If the BGK survives long enough without getting shredded by the Cray then the Cray will probably become a meal when it molts.

Crays are not very good tropical community critters. They like colder waters.

Good luck.

You could but its a risk for the BGK with that Cray fish in there. Also a 125 is on the small size for a full grown 18+ black Ghost Knife but until then it's plenty of room. An African Brown Knife would go better with your stock and fit comfortably in that tank for life but IMO I think BGKs are better looking and I think you will too. But its an option.

Temperature-wise I think it'd depend on the cray species as far as tolerance goes. We have tons of them in a few varying species here locally and I regularly find them in temps ranging from upper 60s to mid 80s.

I wouldn't keep one with a BGK because BGK's tend to be very stationary and could become the target of a nippy cray.

i've been watching this thread for a lil while and had a question...

i hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but does anyone know if the average BGK lives long enough in an aquarium to actually reach its fully grown size??

Yes I saw one YouTube that was 5 years old and was about 16 inches. But they can grow faster depending on tank size, water quality, and diet.

HopefulHobbiest said:
That would be awesome... I want a fish I can hand feed!!! Lol

I can hand feed my Fire Eel! Its pretty cool, but depending on your tank size you could get a Peacock Eel and hand feed that.

I've had my BGK for about a year and he hasn't grown a whole lot. He also hides for most of the day. I've never attempted to hand feed him, but I probably could. Overall I like BGK's but I don't think he's active enough to be a centerpiece.

You could but its a risk for the BGK with that Cray fish in there. Also a 125 is on the small size for a full grown 18+ black Ghost Knife but until then it's plenty of room. An African Brown Knife would go better with your stock and fit comfortably in that tank for life but IMO I think BGKs are better looking and I think you will too. But its an option.

Could a crayfish live with a jack dempsey? i'm going to convert my 55 to a JD tank

Back
Top Bottom