Black gohst knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rachrocks3008

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys I have a tropical tank with danios neon tetra a female betta and two silver sharks, on Sunday I got a black gohst knife . Since I put in in the tank I haven't seen it iv been putting blood worm in but all the other fish eat it. I'm concerned he's not getting food and where he could be in the tank as I can't see him anywhere. I don't know if its ok to move some things and have a good look , I have a castle and some rocks he could be hiding in but I'd have to move them to look properly . Any advice is much appreciated.Thanks in advance

Hi guys I have a tropical tank with danios neon tetra a female betta and two silver sharks, on Sunday I got a black gohst knife . Since I put in in the tank I haven't seen it iv been putting blood worm in but all the other fish eat it. I'm concerned he's not getting food and where he could be in the tank as I can't see him anywhere. I don't know if its ok to move some things and have a good look , I have a castle and some rocks he could be hiding in but I'd have to move them to look properly . Any advice is much appreciated.Thanks in advance

Im going to go ahead and assume that this is a small tank. All I'm gonna say here is please go do research on your fish.
By silver sharks I'm again going to assume you mean Balantiocheilos melanopterus (Bala shark) and again this is another fish that I *highly* suggest you do mounds of research on.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Black gosht knife

Iv read some info on them I know the gohst knife is a very shy fish , just a bit concered I haven't seen it at all , before I buy the fish I let the fish shop know what iv got and they said thy all compatible. I know they can grow large my tank is approx 140 litres.Thanks or the reply

Yeah, your profile says it's 140 liters or 36 gallons. I'd suggest getting rid of the sharks, they like groups of 5 or more and require huge tanks. I'd also look at rehoming the knife fish or upgrading to at least a 100 gallon/378 liter tank to keep him long term. They are slow and prefer dim lighting, so if you have too much lighting it is probably stressing him out. Bala sharks can be aggressive which would stress him out as well. They're also extremely sensitive to water conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Iv read some info on them I know the gohst knife is a very shy fish , just a bit concered I haven't seen it at all , before I buy the fish I let the fish shop know what iv got and they said thy all compatible. I know they can grow large my tank is approx 140 litres.Thanks or the reply

140 liters isn't nearly big enough. Most fish shops just want to sell fish. If your fish dies, you have to go back and buy more. It's better to research and ask people on here or other people you know that don't have a monetary gain in the situation.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My lfs has 2 black ghost knife, they're about 14" long, sit in the same place all day long, barely eat and look like sloth from the goonies. Is that really how you want your tank to flow? Keep in mind.. fish grow, some more than others, some more grace fully than others.. you'd be better off with appropriately sized fish for your aquarium.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Il defiantly look into it thanks for the advice it's is appreciated I'm very new at this

How can I check he's ok before if Figure out what to do with my tank not being big enough,he's approx 2 inches at the moment . After reading some info I turned all lights of but left a dim light so I could see and added some blood worm , I still didn't see him my biggest concern is that he is getting food and is ok .

He is most likely inside of something. That's where they spend most of their time. Hiding.

Should I just leave him and keep my eye on the tank or try and see where he is ?

That would be up to you. The only thing I would be worried is if he is dead and inside of something because that will foul the water quickly.

Your LFS (local fish store) may be knowledgeable, but at the end of the day they are looking to make a sale, and will tell you what you want to hear to do so.

You should really do more research on these sharks, they are tough to keep and can become aggressive to other fish if they start to outgrow your tank.

Back
Top Bottom