Black Hair Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquatic_Adam

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone know how to remove it? I have it in a 10 gallon on some of my onion plants and on some leaves of a baby sword.

Not sure what black hair algae is. Is it black beard algae (BBA)? A pic would help if you are unsure.

It is tough to remove. You want to trim any heavily infected leaves and discard. Any other infestations that can't be manually removed can be spot treated using a syringe or medicine dropper filled with hydrogen peroxide or seachem excel. You will have to treat it several days in a row to kill it. Once it dies, it will turn a pinkish/reddish color, and it will be easy to pull out.

It is tough to remove. You want to trim any heavily infected leaves and discard. Any other infestations that can't be manually removed can be spot treated using a syringe or medicine dropper filled with hydrogen peroxide or seachem excel. You will have to treat it several days in a row to kill it. Once it dies, it will turn a pinkish/reddish color, and it will be easy to pull out.

(y) This works great. I found lots of water changes followed by redosing with ferts/excel seemed to help as well(at least in my case)...Mine looks like its all dead now.

Back
Top Bottom