Black Mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyote5

Aquarium Advice Regular
Picked up 3 black mollies yesterday from the lfs. Got 1 male and 2 females.

here is my question... there is 1 female that seems super dominant... chasing the male and the other female all over the tank... however it could care less about the 2 platties in there.. what gives? anybody have any ideas?

Few possibilities: (Black Molly owner myself)

1. What size is your tank?

2. Did all 3 of them come from the same tank at the LFS?

3. Was the LFS tank filled with ONLY Black Mollies?

4. If #2, was the tank separated by Male / Female? Or were they co-ed at the LFS?

- Many times, if Female Black Mollies are kept together, but without contact from healthy males - they will develop a dominance among their "sorority". Usually once the male tries to mate with her enough, she'll calm down.

- OR, she may already be pregnant. Females will become naturally dominant when they're eating for 40 instead of 1. :p

- If she looks like she's causing harm to the other 2, you may need to separate her from them in another tank, to give her time to cool off.

Vircomore,

To answer your questions
1. The tank is a 10g with the 3 mollies, and 2 platties.
2. All 3 came from the same tank.
3. The tank was ONLY black mollies
4. The tank was co-ed.. I made sure the guy got me 2 females and 1 male.. It took him a while, In fact I had to sex them for him.. LOL

I guess I will just observe and see. The 10g could be temporary or permanent I havent decided yet. But either way its going to be a molly/platty species tank.

How much does the tank have in the way of decor/plants? It won't necessarily solve the problem completely, but breaking up sight lines so that the other fish aren't constantly in her field of view could certainly help.

Back
Top Bottom