Black moor close to death???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pekish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My black moor was swimming weird today and started floating to the top and going upside down while trying to swim down. I changed the water a couple days ago and pH levels and stuff are fine. The other fish are fine. They are having no trouble. Mahdi, the black moor, seems to be gasping and once in a while her body jerks a bit like she is hiccoughing. I have her separated and held in a net to help her stay upright. I've used the only medication the store near me has, Melafix. Her scales are fine and slimy, and her eyes are normal. Not sure what's wrong.

It sounds a bit like constipation / swim bladder issue with too much air in intestines. Do you feed at surface where they can gulp in air being a bit greedy? I wouldn't dose any more melafix. Found a quick link below to see if it fits.

Swim bladder disease

I read the article. It sounds like it could be swim bladder problems. I've had peas as part of my fishs' diet for quite a while. But sometimes I do see them swim to the top and gulp air. I don't know how to stop this though. There is plenty of air in the water, and I don't feed them flakes. I feed them floating pellets but I soak them in water from the tank and squish them to soak up more water and sink.

Tough one - doesn't sound like much is possible. Sometimes it is genetic I believe. Just asking but perhaps she could stand to lose some weight?

My black moor was swimming weird today and started floating to the top and going upside down while trying to swim down. I changed the water a couple days ago and pH levels and stuff are fine. The other fish are fine. They are having no trouble. Mahdi, the black moor, seems to be gasping and once in a while her body jerks a bit like she is hiccoughing. I have her separated and held in a net to help her stay upright. I've used the only medication the store near me has, Melafix. Her scales are fine and slimy, and her eyes are normal. Not sure what's wrong.
She could still be getting too much air. You said she's gulps from the top here and there. And there's plenty of air in the water. So maybe try turning down the bubbles a bit.

Okay. I'll try that and see. She seems to be doing better today. No gasping/hiccoughing or uncontrollable tilting. I haven't fed her yet and she is still being held in a net separate from the others.
Thank you!

Good idea on the not feeding.

One other option with the spasms is she swallowed a piece of gravel. Are gill plates and mouth closing properly and no bulges on body anywhere? Just something to check.

It’s hard with goldfish and I haven’t kept them in a while but any plants that can be sacrificed as feed, I always think fish do better with some plants they can nibble on (while simultaneously regretting it when new shoots are destroyed). I think I had fast growing stem plants that I either planted (and replanted) or just let them float around.

I'm feeding Mahdi, and all my other fish, floating goldfish pellets. I soak them in tank water then squeeze the air out so it sinks. I used to feed them flakes the first few weeks I had them, but Mahdi didn't seem to like it.

Hi, Delapool.

There aren't any lumps on her body or gills. I have thought of getting some plant's and natural decorations because all the plastic ones are hard, rough, and have a few sharp edges. My fish is partially blind and swims into the decor allot. I'm still doing some research on live plants in the tank.
Thank you for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom