Black Moor has parasites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tonksatron

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had Guster, my black moor, for about a month or so and, being a new fish-owner, I didn't even think to research about how his poop should look. (Ridiculous, I know.)

He's always been an avid swimmer, very social, always eats.. but his poop suggests he may have internal parasites. Since I've had him his poop has always been white and stringy, which I now understand is a problem. His behavior is normal and his eating habits are normal and he does not have any signs of bloating. He's perfectly normal aside from the strange poop.

I'm having a pretty hard time figuring this out since he is acting so healthy. Could this be internal parasites? Should I treat just in case?​

Hi! Can you provide us with some more information? Tank size? Water parameters (ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,ph)? What do you normally feed? Before considering treating him, his diet should be addressed to rule out an issue with it. If he isn't getting sufficient food & daily veggies, his waste will reflect this. :)

Hi! Can you provide us with some more information? Tank size? Water parameters (ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,ph)? What do you normally feed? Before considering treating him, his diet should be addressed to rule out an issue with it. If he isn't getting sufficient food & daily veggies, his waste will reflect this. :)

Yes, of course!
I'm raising him in a 5.5gal for the time being until I am able to transfer him to a larger tank at my house. He's small enough right now to where the tank size won't harm him and I'm teaching my mother how to raise him properly. (haha)
I don't have a testing kit at the moment, but the levels seem to be fine and Guster is very stable in his environment (also been doing frequent water changes so toxins don't build up) and the filter is just perfect. I'm planning on getting a testing kit asap.
I'm feeding him Aqueon Spirulina Enhanced Flakes as of right now. I think I'll switch to API though, I was told it has less preservatives. I need to get him some peas to see if it's just a digestive issue.

Thanks! You need to move him to a bigger tank as soon as possible- 5g is way too small for any goldfish & the water quality will deteriorate very, very quickly. I would change atleast 50% of his water daily until you can upgrade his home to atleast a 20g. Flakes are not the best idea- he needs a quality sinking pellet & daily plain cooked veggies. Feeding him lots of veggies exclusively for a few days may be enough to overcome his digestive issues. Peas daily are not a good idea- they contain too much sugar. Heres a link to goldie basics I posted elsewhere. Please read it & ask any questions you may have!

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Back
Top Bottom