Black moor is sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karlywelch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, I am currently dealing with what I thought was a fungus issue on my black moor but now I'm not so sure if that's what it is. I also thought he has fin rot too cause his fins have been tearing. I've now been treating him for a week in a hospital tank with Jungle Fungus Clear (he was in with one other black moor before). I'm not sure if he is getting better or not. It started off as him getting a white, milky film on his tail and eventually showed up on his body and his fins started tearing. When it first started he showed no signs of it bothering him. The day before I started treatment he started showing signs such as clamped fins and foggy eyes. He now doesn't look as covered in white but where there was a white patch on his side his scales have turned light colored. It seems to just be on one side of his body and the gill on that side appears to be swollen. I am going to upload a video to show you exactly what it looks like.

Video link: http://vid1153.photobucket.com/albu...D-FE38-4C02-B41F-E54B1AEB3DCE_zpscvkroxnd.mp4

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Furan is the correct first choice for bacterial infection. IN his case, another stronger antibiotic is needed....usually kanamycin will knock it out quick. Kanamycin is a gram negetavie bacteria, the two can and should be combined.

I am currently dealing with what I thought was a fungus issue on my black moor but now I'm not so sure if that's what it is. I also thought he has fin rot too cause his fins have been tearing.

Video link: http://vid1153.photobucket.com/albu...D-FE38-4C02-B41F-E54B1AEB3DCE_zpscvkroxnd.mp4

Let me explain to you for future reference. Bacteria is always first to fungus when it comes to fish disease. The bacteria is flesh eating, and when its done, the fungus sets in. So youve got a bacterial infection with fungus eating the dead skin after bacteria kills it.

Thank you for your advice. I'm going to look for those medications today. I wasn't sure in the beginning if it was a fungus because it looked more like a milky film not cottony. I just want the little guy to feel better!

Well you were a great help! I have one more question for you! Is seachem kanaplex the same thing as Kanamycin?

Yes
Its 15 dollars in the powder form, heres a link to get medicated feed of all sorts. Much more economical in the long run, but hey if your in a hurry and he needs it fast get the powder first.
Antibiotic Fish Flake Food
3oz pouch is the size of a childrens juice pack (not the square ones the big kind you stick the straw in) and the antibiotic goes straight into the fish, no waste. Should keep good\ last you for a couple years at least.

Thanks again! I got the powder form. I had to order both medications online. I just put them in with him today and I noticed he has gotten some white dots that look like ich on him... I hope it's not. Can white dots be caused from his fungal/bacterial infection? And would I even be able to treat him for ich while I'm treating him with two medications already?

Fungus can look like ich. Treat with the furan and kanamycin for 5 days or however long it takes first. Then if ich still seems to be present, treat for the parasite.

Okay, thank you again so much!! You are a great help and I love learning things that I didn't previously know. Fish keeping has been a big hobby of mine lately and I love it! I just hate seeing the fish get sick. I cried when my first one died..I'm a animal lover to the fullest lol. One more question for you and then I think I should be okay after. I've treated a fish with ich before and he sadly didn't make it. I used Api super ich cure and tetra ich guard (neither worked). What is the best treatment method you recommend for ich? I've read about using aquarium salt and raising the temperature but I have goldfish which require colder water.

Any medicine you can find containing malachite green (victoria green) and / or formalin.
Kordon makes rid ich plus. API makes "quick cure" Jungle makes "parasite clear"

Back
Top Bottom