Black moor POPEYE HOW DO I TREAT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi

My Black Moor has one eye that appears more bulgy than normal.

My fish had a pout of whitespot about 3-4weeks ago when I added a new goldfish and the Black moor with the bulgy eye got it pretty bad and had white spot on the same eye that has now protruded.

Current stats

PH 7.5
nitrite 0
ammonia 0
nitrate 10

I have 4 fancy goldfish in a 42 gallon tank I introduced the 4th about 3-4weeks ago. I have a 119gallon tank being custom build at the mo coming in 2-3 weeks. So it was only a short time of allowing the fish to be overstocked (but showing how badly this can affect the fish, I regret not waiting till I got the new tank to introduce the new fish (lesson learnt). So my question is how can I treat the popeye (if this is what I suspect it is). To hand I only had melafix and this list as one of the things it treats. So I dosed today. Waterchange yesterday 50%. I always do large weekly waterchanges. This was when I first noticed the black moor eye. He is the largest of my fancy goldfish at 2-3years old I adopted him so not sure of exact age, he is about 6inches long, his tank mates are 3-4inches and nearly a year old. My tank is heavily filters with 350 eheim external canister filter 620lphr I also have two internal filters on it at the mo 2012 Eheim pick up and a pf2 interpret filter (cause I knew I was overstocked so I added more to help keep stats down)

I have had no water quality probs all stats been good recently I suspect this might be a secondary infection caused by a whitespot parasite getting into the eye. I have been whitespot clear for 4weeks since treatment symptom free. What should I use to treat this swollen eye the black moor now has. Will Melafix be enough if it says it treats it on the label.

Cheers any help will be appericiated.

Emma

Some pictures the best out 66 I took, fish are soo hard to photograph esp cause the others wanted in on the action everytime I tried to get picture of the big black moor Ludo

Attachments

• IMG_20141108_232448.jpg
    IMG_20141108_232448.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20141108_232711.jpg
    IMG_20141108_232711.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20141108_232825.jpg
    IMG_20141108_232825.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20141108_233003.jpg
    IMG_20141108_233003.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 269
A few more that they are any better or clearer

Attachments

• IMG_20141108_233007.jpg
    IMG_20141108_233007.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20141108_233003.jpg
    IMG_20141108_233003.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20141108_232906.jpg
    IMG_20141108_232906.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 167
Just to add a note behaviour wise he is normal digging about in the pebbles, swimming around happily, eating well, no other signs of ill health.

Any real advice only please. One eye is bigger than the other, please advice on treatment. I am almost certain it is popeye and a secondary infection caused by recent whitespot outbreak about a month ago, as the eye was affected by the whitespot.

Wow sorry i didnt understand completely ...sorry for the "wrong advice"

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No whitespot clear for about 3-4weeks now. He seems fine other than the protruding eye.

Ok so yes it seems to be an infection of pop eye ...that u have established lol...so the treatment would be sera baktopur

I am seeing if melafix will help it as because it is only one eye affected it could just be caused by the wound created by the whitespot parasite when it leaves the fish host. So more of an injury to the eye which has caused the popeye. Ive never heard of that treatment you speak of whats that? I have already dosed with melafix so il finish a 5day treatment and see if any different then i can rule out injury and must be something else going on. Explain your suggested treatment and what it does?

Melafix is perfect for him sera paktopur is also against bacterial infections

Il see how I go with the Melafix if it doesn't clear up I may have to try something stronger, as I know melafix wont really work if the injury is caused by an internal bacterial problem. I have done a little research since putting up this thread. But since I suspect this popeye is caused by injury as my water quality has always been very good and ive never had any probs with water quality. I now do a mid week 25% water change as well as a weekly 50% water change as I am slightly overstocked until I get my 119gallon tank in a few weeks time.

Yes if malix fail go to sera baktopur direct as it is for internal bacteria but ensure its sera baktopur direct and not normal sera baktopur

Its really hard to say since you live in the UK and you cant get good antibiotics unless you visit a vet. I would say that Erythomycin, Kanamycin, or Oxytetracycline would clear this up in a week.
Here in the U.S is so easy to get good medicines that work, i feel bad for you i do. If he is big and old and your attached to him it might be worth it to tell the vet you just need a prescription for a good antibiotic for you fish. LOL that sounds really wierd to me being american tho.... I can by it by the pound for $3 dollars.

Melafix has not showed much improvement in his eye after 4days. He is in very good health and behaving normally and eating well. He is 2-3years old I adopted him so not 100% sure on age. I think the popeye has been caused by an injury rather than a bacterial infection so im bit wary of giving him medication as only one eye is affected and none of his tank mates have popeye. Is it ok to medicate with an internal bacterial medication as a precaution. Even if im not 100% sure this is the cause.

Melafix has not showed much improvement in his eye after 4days. He is in very good health and behaving normally and eating well. He is 2-3years old I adopted him so not 100% sure on age. I think the popeye has been caused by an injury rather than a bacterial infection so im bit wary of giving him medication as only one eye is affected and none of his tank mates have popeye. Is it ok to medicate with an internal bacterial medication as a precaution. Even if im not 100% sure this is the cause.

As long as you dont overdose or use it all the time, absolutely, the only danger from antibiotics is liver/kidney damage.
I personally use Oxytetracycline, and i love it it works great and it comes mixed in food so you just feed them that for 7-10 days and their all clear. Theres little chance of overdose, its cheap as hell, and it works great, its what the fish farms use.

I live in UK and anti biotics are hard to get for fish. Not soldbin petshops. Anything shop brought i can use. I've done a 5 day dose of melafix. I'm going to go to my LFS Friday see what they suggest its a decent LFS aquatic design centre great Portland Street. I've took another picture

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom