Black moor with golden red on one gill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi spotted y.day that my youngest black moor looks like it has scales missing on one gill like golden red. None of the other moors have this. I was worried ammonia burns but it reads 0 on Api liquid test as does nitrite. Nitrates 5-10ppm. Its an established tank. Had nearly 2years. 465litres subtropical 6 fancies. 3danios,3wcm, 2variatus platys. Everyone in good health. Moor with this is acting normally. What could it be. She is v. Inquisitive could it be from rubbing on ornaments.

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

First pic is gill with issue second is to showbother side perfectly normal

Attachments

• 1431424549172.jpg
    1431424549172.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 111
Otherside

Attachments

• 1431424612541.jpg
    1431424612541.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 87
If it was ammonia burns wouldnt other gill and other moors be showing burns too?

Anyone know what this is?

Possibly just from rubbing. Does the gill plate look ok and nothing coming out from the gills? No flashing? Kind of hard to see in pics.

Thanks for replying gill plate is intact . nothing coming out. Its just changed colour. I'll try get a clearer PIC later. She's fine otherwise

Sounds good. Some extra water changes is all I can think of and hopefully comes good. A pic might get some other replies.

Its so hard to get a good PIC. This particular moor has a golden shine to her blackness the gill looks like the colour underneath her black scales on her body. If that makes sense

Attachments

• 1431718431349.jpg
    1431718431349.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 1431718443531.jpg
    1431718443531.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 71
Its so hard to get a good PIC. This particular moor has a golden shine to her blackness the gill looks like the colour underneath her black scales on her body. If that makes sense

To me that looks ok and just natural. One last check I thought of is she is not listing to one side or scales look like they are ruffled up? Otherwise unless anyone else adds anything I don't see a need for meds. If anything changes, then worth looking into again.

I am far from a goldfish keeper.
Black moores may be different still(adding to my level of "proper knowledge').
Many goldfish change color(fact).
Anyone know about blackies going colored?
I would look hard at gill flukes otherwise IMO and run with Praziquantel.
Read up on GF and prazi and good luck.
Dela is really a good sounding board IMO.(Not many others beside ,willing to try to shoot it out there)
Prazi is one of the few that is really easy and safe to use "propholatically".

Hi CB :)

Good to have your expertise. I haven't kept black moors in years so same boat. I believe they can change colour very young or very old but will have to look up some of JLKs notes. I can't remember mine changing but not a breeder.

It reminds me of similar to black mollies that I keep however I'm also looking on the iPhone at the small pics.... Very black fish and very white fish give me trouble as I've had issues that aren't because anything just shows up so well, and then I've fooled myself into thinking that stuff wasn't an issue and was just natural colour, when it was...

Thanks again :)

Edit - worth checking then the gill plate is closing properly and sitting in same position as gill plate on other side?

Last edited:
I've just had a through look at her and no sign of parasites, inflammation or issues breathing. She's behaveing perfectly normally. Gills are closing and opening as normal. They have just changed colour her underbelly has always me whitish from v young. She has a orange tinge to her black and the gills match this shade of orange so it looks like a natural colour opposed too red and sore like an infection or inflammation. I know black moors do change colour but I thought when they hit second half if life span , she is only 1 year and a half old approx.

I've had her from when she was tiny I'd say 3months from LFS.

Yeah she's a very inquisive fish and happy. Loves to dig about in my artificial coral . sorry for me spongebob theme lol my variatus platy Rodney is attached to the squidworth house its his fav hiding place I feel bad to get rid of. Tho I'd love too lol

She looks like a happy, healthy little lass.

Could just be natural colour change to orange, which Moores can go through.

How is she today?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

She seems fine absolutely normal. She can be quite greedy and is suprisingly fast to the food when I drop it in. From her body shape I think there is common in her genes she also doesn't have very big eyes for a moor. They are small compared to my other moors. She's also longer than one of my male moors who's older than her. But he seems to have a more rounded shape like his got more ryukin in his genetics.

I've looked at some pics online of moors changing colours and the patches on her gills look very much like the changing colour patches on some of the moors I've seen online. I'll kp an eye on her but think this is it. Its kinda cool.

Back
Top Bottom