Black moor with popeye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karlywelch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone. So I noticed yesterday that my smaller black moors eyes looked a little bigger than normal. I didn't think much of it and wanted to see what it would look like today, but today they're definitely bigger than normal and have a little bump on the top which makes me think it's popeye. I've never dealt with popeye before so any suggestions would be helpful! Do I have to separate him from his other tank mates? Is it something they can catch? I am still doing some research on it. He is still acting totally normal, so I guess that's a plus. Any advice would be great!!

So it's looking worse today. I took a picture. I checked all my water parameters but they're all fine. So I'm guessing it's being caused by something else.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 81
It's in both eyes. He had a lump on each eye which after a day burst open and there was some white stuff hanging out of the place where the lumps were, but it fell off of both eyes now and the spot where it was looks a little better. I had started treating him with kanaplex because I had some on hand and I read online that people have treated it with that. He is still acting like himself. I've just noticed he is pooping a lot and has very long trails of poop. I did move him to a hospital tank to treat him because the other fish he was with appear to be fine. I also think his eyes don't look as big as they were (hard to tell because his eyes are always big).

Kanamycin may work, but it is specifically for gram - bacteria
Strep is a gram + bacteria
You would be better off going to Walmart and buying some $4 "fungus cure" that will treat gram + bacteria better than the kanamycin.
(Nitrofurazone)

Was the poop like that before or after med treatment? Colour?

Also was there anything like a dot in the centre of the lump that could of indicated parasites initially (then bacterial)?

No his poop was not like that before. And the color ranges from clear to the color of his food. There has been no dot in the middle of the lumps. What happens is a lump appears then what looks like whitehead appears and the white stuff will slowly leak out then fall off leaving a hole that closes pretty quick. The "whiteheads" have reappeared a few times now. And now on the back of his eye a white almost cottony patch has appeared. He is still acting totally fine though.

Back
Top Bottom