Black Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaticterror

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anybody on here own a black and gold/brown (VERY dark) non tiger oscar? If so can I see some pics?

I'm not at home and forgot to take pictures but I have a question as to whether the cichlid I received is even an oscar at all.

The juvenile in question is a "wild caught" fish from Venezuela. It's about 4 1/2 inches and is completely black except for a metallic greenish brown belly that is only visible when light hits it the right way, and a few eyespots- 1 small blood red eyespot on the upper base of the tail and a couple black and gold eyespots across the base of his dorsal.

I received this mystery cichlid yesterday with a few white spots on his pectoral fins and mouth area and is currently being treated with anti parasite pellet food and API general cure in a 10g receiving tank, but if it isn't an oscar I'm not too sure I want to keep it as I want to keep my 250g oscar tank true to its species.
Please help.

Unfortunately mine has none of the patterns in those threads ? I'm looking more online now and some of what I'm reading is troubling... 2 types of oscar? One potentially saltwater.....

what am I doing?

I found this picture, if it shows up, this is not mine, obviously, but it looks exactly like mine.

what am I doing?

? I wish. I'm kind of afraid that this little bugger may wind up in my research pond. The look is so unique I have to question, still, whether it's truly an oscar or not

what am I doing?

I am by no means stating factually that this pic is of an Oscar HOWEVER, I have seen a number of Oscars over the years that have a distorted pattern and this might very well just be the case. Since this pic is of a dead fish, it's hard to say for sure but the face, tail, fins and occelli sure do look Oscar-ish to me. You might want to send a pic of your fish to the Oscar or Cichlid society
and see what they say.

Hope this helps (y)

I will be at my house in the morning and will snap a couple pics.
I have decided to do some tank rearranging to give him a 40g grow out tank. I don't want to introduce him to my other oscars (I have 2 others in my 350g currently) to prevent hybridization if he is a rare or localized variation, as he is a wild oscar imported (not by me) from a place that is still cataloging their cichlid species. I absolutely love oscars.

You're lucky- gorgeous "water dog"

what am I doing?

There is Astronotus sp. venezuela

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415539452.647778.jpg

Where did you purchase it? What's the collection point?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

From what I've been told it was caught in Venezuela along an Orinoco tributary. The collector that sent this specimen to me said that of the 6 specimens he received it was the only one with "undesirable markings and passive temperament" and he didn't want him.

what am I doing?

From what I've been told it was caught in Venezuela along an Orinoco tributary. The collector that sent this specimen to me said that of the 6 specimens he received it was the only one with "undesirable markings and passive temperament" and he didn't want him.

what am I doing?

What collector?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom