black spiny uchin question part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My first post stated that my urchin had lost one of his spines. Well, since then he has turned a lighter color. More like a brownish color. His spines are not looking good at all. My water parameters are good and he had been moving around the tank and eating. What could be wrong ?

Attachments

• Urchin.jpg
    Urchin.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 174
first off saying everything is good gives no one anything to go on to help, thats why so many views and no answers. The BSU main food is Coraline, depending on your tank size and the amount you have, he may not be getting enough to eat. I have a 125 and have had a BSU for 10 years. About every 2-3 weeks I put him in the sump and let him clean it out, I also wait till he is near the top of the tank and give him Nori. Outside of that you need to offer much more information on your set what for people to help, tank size, inhabitants, parameters, type of water, history ect. If you are using tap, thats the problem, as the can not handle any type of copper, they also can not tolerate nitrates

A general rule of thumb with urchins is when they dull in color and loose spines they aren't doing well due to parameter issues. I agree that lack of food could also being a possible issue at hand, but they will eat more than just coraline algae to my knowledge.
Generally, to reflect, haven't we been discussing in several posts over the last (roughly) month about issues going on in your tank? They are all tied together. They always are.

yep.
This salt water tank stuff is harder than I thought...lol All my water parameters test ok..

ph-8.2
sal-1.025
water temp-78
nitrates-0
nitrites-0
amm-0
cal-425
alk-10.2

All my other critters are doing fine.
My bryopsis is all gone.
I have a Serpent star, peppermint shrimp,hand full of hermits, green emerald crab, and 1 chromis, and a few soft corals..

Back
Top Bottom