Black water for cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I use Kent's Black water, amazon extract in my community 30, and have been really happy with it. I actually use about half the recommended dose. So it doesn't discolor the water.
Thinking about putting it my Cichlid tank. Anyone used a product like this for Africans cichlids?

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to put black water extract in a rift tank? That is the tannins of decaying organic material, which can help lower the pH. Black water habitats are generally extremely acidic, like in South America and southeast asia

Good to know, I was just curious. I love the effect it has on my other tank. I didn't really know what it was, the guy at my LFS just gave it too me after I told him about my community tank.

It's basically going to stain the water like tea, much like peat, almond leaves, driftwood, etc. do. It is said to help their slime coat if I'm not mistaken, but mainly it's going to stain the water and maybe bring the pH slightly down

Ya, I've been using it in my 30 for a couple of weeks. The fish like it.

I like Brightwell Aquatics Blackwater and DiscusCode for my Apisto's, Geo's, Angels and most of my other fish.

Back
Top Bottom