Blackening red honey gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

claudiadearman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone,

i purchased some new fish on yesturday for my 25 lt tank, it has been set u for three weeks running and i have checked all the levels which are fine. only thing waz i purchased was 1 x pleco, 2 x red honey gourmis, 2 x blue gouramis and 3 x tetra neons. when i checked in my tank this morning i noticed a Killifish must of sneeked in with the tetras and eaten all there fins off and two died sadly a few hours after. i since then have returned the killifish to the LFS and complained.

the only other thing is now my red honey gouramis have turned black! not the maturing black but the backs and fins! they seem fine and they are eating but i was soo shocked that over night they went from very vibrant red/orange to dull black/grey.

can anyone shed some light on this issue please? it would be much appreciated ill try post some pics!

thankyou x

Well you're way over stocked. You're honey gourami and blue gourami will fight violently.
All you're fish will outgrow the tank, and the neon tetra need to be in schools of at least 5. You're fish are under some serious stress and that's why they are dying and/or losing they're color.
I would suggest re-homing all the fish, and re organizing you're stock. Also, the blue gourami is too aggressive to co-exist with the tetra.

Hi sorry i had a typo its a 225ltr tank not 25ltr!!! the blue gouramis were not in there when the neons died! and considering there is only one now he is very happy and healthy but i will be purchasing somemore as your right they need to be in grups of 5 or more! there is no bulling in the tank and ive kept a very close eye! the honey gouramis arent not as black as they were!

so the original question was 2 x gouramis 3 tetra and a pleco all in a 225ltr tank been cycled and levels are all fine but the gouramis went grey?:fish2:
the 2xblue gouramis were added after the 2xhoney gouramis went black.

only thing else is for some reason a killifish made its way in the bag with the tetra neons and started fin nipping badly and was terrorising everything but has since been removed but sadly two tetras did die!

thanks you x

Hi sorry i had a typo its a 225ltr tank not 25ltr!!! the blue gouramis were not in there when the neons died! and considering there is only one now he is very happy and healthy but i will be purchasing somemore as your right they need to be in grups of 5 or more! there is no bulling in the tank and ive kept a very close eye! the honey gouramis arent not as black as they were!

so the original question was 2 x gouramis 3 tetra and a pleco all in a 225ltr tank been cycled and levels are all fine but the gouramis went grey?:fish2:
the 2xblue gouramis were added after the 2xhoney gouramis went black.

only thing else is for some reason a killifish made its way in the bag with the tetra neons and started fin nipping badly and was terrorising everything but has since been removed but sadly two tetras did die!

thanks you x
I was assuming it was a typo lol.
Well anyways, they probably died of stress. I suggest putting them in a school of at least 5, if not a bit more to prevent any further deaths.

Did you cycle your tank or just run it on its own for 3 weeks? You may have some ammonia or nitrites, which are toxins going on in your tank if you didn't cycle. There is a whole page on cycling here somewhere,., only reason I can think of that they would be discolored.

Did you cycle your tank or just run it on its own for 3 weeks? You may have some ammonia or nitrites, which are toxins going on in your tank if you didn't cycle. There is a whole page on cycling here somewhere,., only reason I can think of that they would be discolored.

hi teakwood! i believe i cycled it correctly and this is how ive always done a new set up but i may be wrong :s

i always buy the RO water from the LFS as i live in a very hard water area and weve recently suffered alot of water mains breaking so water quality has been poor and i dont trust it!

so i added the RO water and the live plants, heater and filter and get it up to temp and leave it to run for a week and test then another couple of days to re test again. if everything level wise then thats when i introduce the fish. 4/5 days after i always reest to check that the ammonia and nitrites arent too high and adjust if need be!

im actually going to take a water sample to my LFS to test as now my new mollies are a little offish! i now have 4 and 2 are happy and 2 have clamped tail fins and spend alot of time just sitting next to the rocks :-( (everything else apart from honey gouramis are great btw)

never had all these problems :( think ill go back to a bowl and goldfish lol

any advice would be amazing please!!!!!!:fish1:

Back
Top Bottom