Blackout!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swankyspoon

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10 gallon freshwater tetra tank that is currently in a cycle with fish (my error). This morning we had a power outage, and I was unsure how to care for my fish without heater or filter. I though that frequent pwcs (every few hours?) might be the best answer, but wanted to know what the established wisdom was on this topic. Fortunately the outage in this case was only two hours or so, but we have been getting a lot of blackouts lately.

Depending on how you keep the temperature in your house will determine how you should plan.

If you keep your house cold (or it's really cold outside in the winter), then it's best to have a blanket or something you can wrap up the tank in to keep the temperature up.

Another good idea is to get a battery powered air pump to have on hand in case you go long amounts of time without power. This will help keep the water oxygenated.

also if you have a lid on the tank that will effect how quickly the temps drop. if the power is out for a long time taking the media out of the filter and floating it is a good idea also, along with the battery air pump. smaller bodies of water lose heat faster then larger ones.

Back
Top Bottom