Blah.. think my crab is dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just noticed my crab in the middle of my tank, at the bottom, completely out of his shell (about an inch to his right) and not moving.

I have not removed it yet as I am not sure of crab behavior and don't know if it's really dead.

I don't understand it, though. My water parameters are pretty good.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ~10
KH: 11
pH: 8.3
temp: 80F
SG: 1.025

I got the little guy about 2 days ago. The only thing I can think of is perhaps there was some unmixed salt on the bottom that he "cleaned". But I doubt that as I mixed it pretty thorougly and well before I put anything in the tank (like 11 days before).

Any thoughts? Is he for sure dead?

Or maybe I didn't acclimate him well enough? My water is almost identical to the LFS water, but I still acclimated.

It`s probably the molt. They look like the real thing. Pull it out and examine it.

I've been tricked by molts before, what kind of crab is it?

I didn't know about this molting thing, and I was rather relieved to hear that this could be it.

Unfortunately it's not. I pulled it out and it's pretty weighty. Feels "meaty" I guess is the best way to describe it. Didn't crumble like an exoskeleton would when I poked it.

:( I put him back in the tank since he still might be alive (don't know much about crabs.. just want to be sure he is dead before I don't give him any chance at all).

Also looked in the shell and it is clean, nothing in there.

It is a hermit crab.

I have an electric blue hermit crab, medium sized I guess, and after a month of having him I saw some meaty looking parts around and an empty shell... long story short, he was hiding deep in the shell and those were molted parts. He ended up eating the pieces and well taht was over a year ago and he's still alive flipping my smaller polyp rocks around.

Well, I guess I'll just have to wait and see then. How long before I should notice something if he is still alive?

Also, if he's dead.. how long before he starts putting off ammonia?

If your tank is cycled then that little bit will not make a difference in a 55 gallon tank.

Didn't take me too long because his shell is bigger than the rest, so I went in and checked it out. Any clue what kind of hermit crab you have? Is it a smaller one that costs $1.49 or a bigger one like my electric blue that cost $6?

He's not one of the tiny ones. He was about $2, though.

Here's a picture of what I'm looking at:
2hexb2g.jpg

I have to ask, what is your substrate? Can you give us a full tank view?

I bought the substrate at the LFS. 2 bags of "live" gravel. It had water in the bag with it.

Here's a full tank shot:
2h355d4.jpg

I'm not being critical, but the tank looks very...freshwater... what type of rocks are those, some of them look very dense. In my opinion, for the ease of managing your tank in the future I'd remove all the plastic items, they'll just tend to be algae magnets. I've only been in this hobby since early last year, but I've never seen gravel in a tank like that. I know that crushed coral isn't the best because it leaves spots for junk to lay in, and I'm wondering if the gravel will do the same. Also with that you will have to keep away from some of the neat sand sifting critters and fish. I think you'd be better off with just some dry aragonite sand (rinse first) and some cured live rock to put life into it. How long did you say your tank was up and running? It just looks really new and clean.

Thank you for your reply.

The rock was called at the LFS "lace rock". It is not live rock.

I'm VERY new to the hobby, this is my first SW setup ever.

The tank was set up 13 days ago. Cycle started with bio spira. Everything spiked and then went down to normal levels. It is very new and clean.

Can you give some more details, like what is your filtration?
I use LR for the main filtration in all my tanks, and sand instead of C.C or gravel. I also don't like to use chemicals or fish for my cycle, I used the raw shrimp method. I hope I'm not throwing too much out there at once.

Not at all.. I am absorbing all information I can.

I have an emporer 280 with bio-wheel, an aqua-clear powerhead (390gph), and some t5 48" lighting (not sure on wattage).

Could my set up be related to the potential crab death?

I don't know, I only say that because those parameters you posted look good. I really think it will cause issues in the long run though. What about water, do you make your own saltwater or purchase it from your LFS? I just wanted to make sure you didn't have any bioballs, those become nitrate factories.

It really comes down to what you like, I mean if you're happy with the look, please don't change it on account of my tastes. I just think you'll be better off without the plastic decor, and sand instead of gravel. I think that'd be a good start. Also any reason you went with that lace rock and not LR?

Back
Top Bottom