Blasting sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parsons483

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone used back blasting sand in thier planted tank I'm giving it a try but have no plants in it yet or sand. This is all I have in it so farIMG_20180414_192157.jpegIMG_20180414_192208.jpeg

Timely.....I just picked up a bag today after reading about it for over a Month !! Still not sure if I'm going straight sand, or sand capped soil.... downsizing from my 29 Dutch ( full screen ) to a 20 gallon long iwagumi (widescreen) !! .....Just Dragon Stone and Dwarf Baby Tears for this one. Simplify ...

Timely.....I just picked up a bag today after reading about it for over a Month !! Still not sure if I'm going straight sand, or sand capped soil.... downsizing from my 29 Dutch ( full screen ) to a 20 gallon long iwagumi (widescreen) !! .....Just Dragon Stone and Dwarf Baby Tears for this one. Simplify ...
That's what I am doing have soil down and planning to put the sand on top. I plan to do it as a planted tank for some angel fish. I don't know what you mean by dragon stone or dwarf baby tears ?

Dragon stone is a tan colored rock characterized by clefts, idents or “partial holes”. Dwarf baby tears (DBT) is a low growing, small leafed carpet plant that requires decent lighting and CO2 (in most cases). Pictured below (not my tank, probably belongs to Tom Barr) is dragon stone and, in the foreground, DBT.IMG_5872.jpg

Dragon stone is a tan colored rock characterized by clefts, idents or “partial holes”. Dwarf baby tears (DBT) is a low growing, small leafed carpet plant that requires decent lighting and CO2 (in most cases). Pictured below (not my tank, probably belongs to Tom Barr) is dragon stone and, in the foreground, DBT.View attachment 308548
Okk thanks lol

Dragon stone is a tan colored rock characterized by clefts, idents or “partial holes”. Dwarf baby tears (DBT) is a low growing, small leafed carpet plant that requires decent lighting and CO2 (in most cases). Pictured below (not my tank, probably belongs to Tom Barr) is dragon stone and, in the foreground, DBT.View attachment 308548

Beautiful...even if it’s not yours lol! What’s the grassy plant in the background?

Beautiful...even if it’s not yours lol! What’s the grassy plant in the background?

I believe it is a type of dwarf hairgrass. Not sure which though.
My 2 cents on blasting sand: nice dark color. Abrasive, yes (careful when cleaning the sides of your tank). When I used it I noticed an oily film on the waters surface despite extensive rinsing. Stopped using it for that reason (I had other substrates on hand and recently switched to pool filter sand).

I believe it is a type of dwarf hairgrass. Not sure which though.
My 2 cents on blasting sand: nice dark color. Abrasive, yes (careful when cleaning the sides of your tank). When I used it I noticed an oily film on the waters surface despite extensive rinsing. Stopped using it for that reason (I had other substrates on hand and recently switched to pool filter sand).
Yes.... I get the super fine grain and it is similar to beach sand in texture and I have seen the oily film. But I use steaming hot water and rinse it numerous times throughout the day. Then I add it and let it cycle for a day or two and it always clears up. Never tried pool filter sand. But also great idea. I don't understand why aquarium sand is so expensive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom