Blasto or acan??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mpfaff77

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I bought this like year ago is was a lot smaller and didn't extend as much as now. I was told it was a blasto but it looks more and more like acan as it grows.

Attachments

• image-51361415.jpg
    image-51361415.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 128
Cool thanks. Been growing in out in refugium. It is about 3" around and it is time for display this weekend.

Looks like an Acan to me. Acans seem to have a much more varied coloration, than Blastos. Most Blastos I've ever seen were red/ green.

Oh man. Still confused. It is reddish. It is under standard flouro right now in refuge. I'll take better pic when I put in display on Saturday. Here is closer pic with iPhone tho

Attachments

• image-2087313396.jpg
    image-2087313396.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 136
Well after 1 week in the display tank it hasn't opened at all. I had mid tank in moderate flow. This is what it looks like now. I am putting back in refugium where it seems happy.

Attachments

• image-2782108378.jpg
    image-2782108378.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 99
  • image-2463620744.jpg
    image-2463620744.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 110
  • image-2582938185.jpg
    image-2582938185.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 103
Yea. Gonna give few weeks back in refugium. Will try another spot in 2 weeks. You think high up is best?? Do acans like high light?? This one seems to do better under my standard flouro in my fuge. I am leaning towards putting in very low in tank when goes back in.

Before you move it back i would put it on the floor and see how it does. If you keep switching it from one light to the other it is never gonna do good when you put it under the stronger light. Put it on the floor and give it a few days

Ok will do. That makes sense going from light to light screwing it up. I could even put under a bit of a ledge to take direct light off of it. Then slowly acclimate to where the coral feels comfortable.

Will keep updates.

Ok. Well I think in week or so will try to move again to display. Only been back in refuge for 2 days and already starting to extend. So absolutely a light issue. I will put very low in tank. Will try to find a spot under a ledge if possible. I am having same iissue with small gorgonia frag. Will take same approach. Keep low in tank. I didn't think power compact lighting was strong enough to effect corals like that. I always assumed I had moderate lighting.

Here it is right now. Gorgonia right next to it.

Attachments

• image-3137402855.jpg
    image-3137402855.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 48
you probably do have moderate lighting, but it may have come from less lighting, like the frag tank. You can't just increase the lighting 300% and not see an adverse reaction.

Back
Top Bottom