Bleach solution on Blackbeard algae....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgarMedina1010

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im gonna change my gravel, on the weekend so, i read the article here on how to do it, so im fine with that, but i been battling Blackbeard algae, i seem to have controlled it since its not growing anymore, and the plants infected are seem to be doing fine, theres still some on some leaves (but the algae seems dead), i read this in article on a magazine, - "I completely emptied my aquarium (46 gallon) of all the contents (excluding fish) and proceeded to soak everything (plastic plants, rocks, driftwood) in a 10% bleach solution which did a fantastic job of destroying the algae."- ive also heard people having success by doing this, the only question is how do i do this?, thanks in advance.

If it is in check. I would just remove the infected leaves. The new ones should grow in algae free.

Yeah i would steer clear of using bleach on anything in your tank.
Especially if you already have the problem beaten.

IMO, Steer clear of Bleach. If you want to do something, take a 10% Excel solution and dip the plants in it for 5 minutes, then place directly back into the tank without rinsing. Easiest way to get rid of BBA. But one thing is, if you haven't fixed what initially caused it, it will come right back. And since you said you seem to have it under control now, now is the time to take the removal measures and get rid of it, and it shouldn't come back.

Another method is take a syringe with Hydrogen Peroxide and squirt it in the tank directly on the infected leaves. Shortly after, if you see the algae starting to turn pink, you nailed it. It's dying, and will eventually melt away.

No, it is not bleach. Hydrogen Peroxide is H2O2. And you don't need to remove it from the tank, as it oxidizes in the tank and the end product is water and O2. Just don't do excessive amounts, as it could burn the fish scales and gills. When I used it, I did about 4 ounces in my 29G with no problems. So if you have a measuring cup, find out how much you can do safely based on my 4 ounces per 29G, and you should be just fine, and use that to spot spray the affected leaves.

Nice, so basically it stays potent long enough to kill the algae but then oxidizes before doing anything else.

Might have to try that when i get some of the dreaded algae.

Thanks, so many tips here.

Yes. Some say it's effective for 10-20 minutes, but that's not what counts. What counts is that it starts to affect the algae immediately. The 10-20 minutes it's in the tank is a bonus. Also, when you dose the affected leaves, they will look like they are beginning to pearl. But they aren't, lol. It's just the H2O2 oxidizing and ending up being just H2O and O2.

You can also do the same with Excel as well, dose the affected leaves. It will basically do the same thing, but with another bonus, add usable carbon for the plants to use. The Excel dosed directly to the algae will kill off the algae.

When you get Hydrogen Peroxide, if you go that route, the bottle should say Hydrogen Peroxide 3%.

I got mine to stop growing via CO2 and then I've been dosing excel daily. It has turned a nice red color (it's all dead now).

Just add the initial dose of Excel to the tank daily and it will start to die in a few days. Peroxide didn't really work for me for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom