Blister/Abscess on my Betta Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finn23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my betta fish Finn. He was the sickest looking fish at my local pet store, so I bought him home in September 2020. (Pic #3). He was in dirty water, suffering from swim bladder and looked like he could use some TLC.

In put him in a 5-gallon cycled Fluval Spec V tank by himself, with water heated to 79 degrees. As he had swim bladder, he would typically rest between a hammock leaf at the top of the tank under the filter flow to stay upright. In December, I noticed several thread like hairs floating at the top of the tank, saw he was losing his color and developed a shiny film on the side of his body. Within days of this, he developed a blister like growth near his tail (Pic #4).

After doing much research, concluded he had contracted Columaris and treated him with Kanaplex and Funan2 - two separate 5-days treatments (10-days apart). This treatment did clear up the Columaris (temporarily), but did nothing to help this blister. As he cannot swim upright, I moved him to a 1 gallon hospital tank in early January where he is currently. I expected the blister to pop, but it hasn't and he seems to be progressively getting worse (Pic #2). I've treated him with various medications over the past three months (PraziPro, Erythromycin, General Cure) - none of which have proved effective.

He is eating well (3-4 Aqueon Pro pellets daily, with either a small pinch of Hikari Brine Shrimp or Daphnia every other day) and actively darts around to greet me - despite only being able to float on his size at the top of the tank.

I change 50% of his water every other day, add a 1/4 tsp of API aquarium salt every other water change, and have dosed him with a drop of Methylene Blue daily on this blister.

He currently has a betta log, heater, (set at 76), half a Catappa leaf (Moss brand) and an air stone in his hospital tank. No substrate. Given his poop is brown and regular, I do not think he is constipated, nor has internal parasites (although I'm no expert...)

Tank parameters: Ammonia and Nitrates 0, temp 77, pH 7.0, KH 40, GH is between 30 and 60 range.

Any advice? I did buy clove oil, but cannot bring myself to euthanize him when he is still active, but worry he is suffering.

Thank-you so much!
Finn's Mom

Attachments

• IMG_4349.jpg
    IMG_4349.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4116.jpg
    IMG_4116.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3609.jpg
    IMG_3609.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 51