Blood Parrot Cichlid trying to eat me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gherkin2pickle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a blood parrot cichlid (named Captain) in a ten gallon tank. She is fairly big, and I've had her for a few years. I know her species is aggressive, but honestly.. when I hold my fingers over the water to drop in her food pellets, she practically jumps out of the water at my fingers trying to bite! Whether she wants to bite me or the food is debatable, but that's not the point. I don't want her to hurt herself when surfacing like that, so is there any way I can calm her down or something? I do feed her a good amount every day, so I'm almost 99% sure that she isn't starving. I'm just worried. Something already happened to her lower jaw before I bought her, because it is really off set and crooked. What if she permanently injures her mouth by biting me? (Doesnt hurt at all, just feels like a really strong suction cup). Any advice is greatly appreciated. I love my fish and want her to be safe. :)

Go crazy and get her a bigger tank! She deserves it. Sounds really cute. Minimal size for a blood parrot should be 30gal. They are really awesome fish with so much personality and they do love being hand fed (they're such beasts at meal times). I think a bigger tank may help especially if she's this active).

Back
Top Bottom