Blood parrot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1997

Aquarium Advice Freak
So this Friday I'm going to my local fish store to get a blood parrot or yellow parrot I have been wanting one of these for the longest time and I'm planning on doing a slow transition from an African cichlid tank to a south American cichlid tank for some reason starting last month my ph has been 6.3-6.5 my ph used to be perfect for Africans at like 7.8 but now it's to low. And I think they are suffering from it because they haven't been acting the same lately they have been swimming slower and they aren't chasing eacother around as much they don't look sick or anything but they aren't what they used to be I don't know if it's the light because right now I'm using a t12 light because my t8 died do my uncle who is an electrician is going to get me like 3 replacement bulbs ( gotta love having connections) so i think he is bringing them Saturday when he comes over for a family party were having but I'm defiantly getting them. And I have been doing some reasearch on the Internet and Wacthing YouTube videos and people have blood parrots with African cichlid [gotta say some people keep this fish is horrendously small tanks ( the blood parrots)] and I have found that as long as the blood parrot is bigger than the Africans and there are enough hiding places it should be fine and I have enough caves and places for them to hide. ( sorry for rambling on a lot I'll get to my point soon: ready here it is) I was wondering what kind of south American cichlids you would recommend for a 55 gallon tank I don't want those big ones like oscars or flower horns but ones that have a lot of color and will have some personality.. ( and please don't criticize me for getting a parrot I know that they are hybrids and I know that people say to boycott them but I mean they are leaving creatures you have to do something with them they can't just sit in a small tank for the rest of there lives and a fish store and not be bought) so once again sorry for rambling a lot just needed to give you all the information. Thanks in advance - Matt :p

well i have my 8 year old parrot in with my very large oscar and they realy get along great. anyway i also have a nock off of the blod parrot and they are called cotton candy cichlid or jelly bean cichlid. they are smaller version of the parrot . very prity with long flowing fins.

The pet store I used to work at got them in all the time, they were blue, green, red, etc. and the color NEVER looked natural. They looked just like any other dyed fish
Just google "jelly bean parrot" and my point will become evident. I'm not saying they're not a hybridization of those two species, I'll completely agree with you, but a "regular" jellybean is white, much like a pink convicts color. But the jellybean commonly seen come in disgustingly unnatural colors and patterns, like hearts and smiley faces. Dyed.

"Jelly bean" refers to either situation IME. This is why common names tell us nothing, because they vary so much from supplier to supplier and from store to store. I much prefer the Latin name for a fish because it tells you what it actually is, but of course in this case it's not possible because these man made fish aren't even real species.

yes mine are pure white and no dies. they are verry prity with long flowing fins i just love them. i no they get a bad rap for being inbreed but darn things are beautiful

I have one, pretty cool. It was my wife's Idea. It Digs a lot, At least mine does.

Pton46 has yours lost any of it's color

Yes,

It is definitely "faded" a bit. I changed there food to Omega One and and color came back a bit, but more of a Natural Orange versus as my wife called it (Dodge Charger Orange)

I suspect it might have been Dyed.

I am actually in the Process of moving my Oscar to a 75 gallon tank for himself and I plan to get another one.

Back
Top Bottom