BluCrab's 29 Gallon Reefer Madness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BluCrab

Aquarium Advice Newbie
just a quick question by a noob.

I recently purchased the new style CoralLife 29 gal Biocube.
* 13 lbs of Fuji Live rock
* 20 lbs of Caribsea Indo Pacific black reef live sand

It's been up and running about 4 weeks, cycle done over a two weeks ago.
added some buttons, a branching hammer , two damsels, a maroon clown and two shrimp (coral and pepermint).
Everything is up to par.

When I asked around about a protein skimmer I was told that the tank doesn't require it and after reading your thread here, I really don't want the hassel.

I recently was told to add a bag of Boyds ChemPure Elite. After reading up I've learned about the media tray and adding a fuge.

I was wondering for now until I can save up would it be ok to just sit the bag above the bio balls and still use the stock filter?

then once I save up and buy the media rack and fuge ,can I just gut the bioballs, insert the media rack and fuge ,add the bag of Chempure Elite to the media tray,line the top compartment with some floss and then some live rock to the fuge?

Attachments

• Clown2.jpg
    Clown2.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 130
IMO before you do anything you should probably add add 20-25 more lbs of live rock- it makes a better filter than any additive you can get, like I said, it's just my opinion.

May want to rethink the no skimmer

I have a relatively new 28gal Nano. Not a bio cube but similar. I hesitated doing the skimmer as well and since all my levels were very good (although a not yet heavily populated tank) and I thought the chemical filtration would also do the job. THe reality there is a lot of junk floating in the tank. I broke down and added a HOB skimmer and I was amazed how much junk this thing pulled out after 2 days of breaking in. I am just finished tweaking the level but I was pulling out 1/2 a cup of tea colored water every few days. My levels are zero and the water is very clear.

I have a relatively new 28gal Nano. Not a bio cube but similar. I hesitated doing the skimmer as well and since all my levels were very good (although a not yet heavily populated tank) and I thought the chemical filtration would also do the job. THe reality there is a lot of junk floating in the tank. I broke down and added a HOB skimmer and I was amazed how much junk this thing pulled out after 2 days of breaking in. I am just finished tweaking the level but I was pulling out 1/2 a cup of tea colored water every few days. My levels are zero and the water is very clear.

Thanks for mentioning HOB being helpful to nano tanks!! People don't realize what a truly great resource they are... Note of caution- I suggest using a screen or fine mesh cover on the intake tube to prevent burned out motors due to accumulated sand and debris...

Skimmer IMHO is pointless if your doing your weekly water changes. I haven't had a skimmer for a good 6+ months, no issues. It's a waste in that size tank. In the time I had the skimmer(Tunze9002) it did nothing but make noise and maybe... MAYBE skim a little on a good day. A piece of equipment that isn't needed in such a small tank. Yea it's a 28 gallon but after sand and rock your really not getting 28 gallons in it so....

Your water volume actually went down.

This of course is my opinion.

Totally agree IF you are doing weekly water changes. Per his comment not wanting the skimmer to be a pain, I use a skimmer so I am not a slave to water changes. True my tank is not totally stocked yet and I probably will see my values increase as I do but I may have to do PWC every two weeks.

Thanks for mentioning HOB being helpful to nano tanks!! People don't realize what a truly great resource they are... Note of caution- I suggest using a screen or fine mesh cover on the intake tube to prevent burned out motors due to accumulated sand and debris...

Since my skimmer pump is in the rear chamber I am not as risk of picking up sand or debris. It is a tight fit with two pumps in one chamber but it works. I really wanted the Tunze nano but I would have had to sacrifice one of my return pumps.

Since my skimmer pump is in the rear chamber I am not as risk of picking up sand or debris. It is a tight fit with two pumps in one chamber but it works. I really wanted the Tunze nano but I would have had to sacrifice one of my return pumps.

I didn't like the TUNZE9002 even after the airline mod. I threw it out the window.

Regarding the additional live rock.. I was planning on adding more which I have.

I added 2 1/2 pounds of Tonga Branch and 2 more pounds of Fuji live.

Thinking about adding another 2 lbs of Tonga in two weeks.

Attachments

• tonga.jpg
    tonga.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Madness.jpg
    Madness.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 88
Back
Top Bottom