Blue crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can a blue crayfish be in a tank with live plants? Are there any other fish that can live with a crayfish?
Once they get some size on them they can tear up even fake plants pretty darn good. Most blue crays in the hobby are Allenii, which can grow up to a foot long, so as you can imagine, they can really tear stuff up! Mine loves to re-arrange his tank. Live plants are good for them though, of course, it's more natural. Anacharis grows so fast that it's a great choice for them.

No you can't keep any fish with them if you want them to survive long term. They are much too smart and fast. Every now and then you will hear a success story of fish and cray living long term together but, you have to realize that is their natural food source, so it's not a wise pairing. One member on here actually had his cray escape the tank and enter the neighboring tank to hunt and kill it's inhabitents.

How about keeping the cray with shrimp? What types of plants are good for the cray and a 10 gallon tank?

I've kept African cichlids with it but I had PLENTY of places for it to hide. They can be easily killed. :( mine lived happily with it until I went on vacation and my autofeeder I usually use for it ran out of battery and the cichlid put up a huge fight. It was sad.. But I also had a regular feeder crayfish with it and it wasn't bothered at all so just have plenty of places for it to crawl and hide.

It's been posted several, several times, but maybe you missed it. No, no one recommends having plants in a tank with a crayfish. They are known for tearing plants apart just because they feel like it. It seems like you might be waiting for someone to come by and say a cray with plants is fine so you can justify getting one, so you might as well do it since you seem like you'll do it anyway at this point.

Yes, I have kept anachris, cabomba, and java moss with it. The anachris was horrible and the cray tore it up in a few days until only stubs were left.. Literally. The other two weren't hurt bad, java moss being the least damaged. The cabomba only had a few stems cut. Overall java moss would be the best bet but I don't recommend any plants with it.

Back
Top Bottom