Blue crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everytime I tried it they got eaten when the shed there skin they loose there claws when they do and can't defend themselves

Just a heads up: they molt and will EAT their skin. Don't be worried if you see him gnawing on his shell, its for calcium.

I saw a blue single clawed cray at the store and thought it would be less dangerous. I've had one lose a leg and it grew back. But can they grow a new claw?

Wow I just had this awesome idea of using drinking glasses as caves for crayfish! Putting the glass up against the tank so you can see in and cover the top with gravel. I think I'm going to do it, anyway it is a lot cheaper than the slate I was going to buy!

how big do they get???????????? also if it starts killin ur fish and plants and and u get annoyed just boild water with salt pepper and melt some butter and u can have some lunch within 20-30 min!!!!

Crawfish in a 10 gallon= a species tank (for crayfish!). An upper-level swimmer MIGHT survive- but eventually a crayfish will likely catch/kill/eat anything except maybe something big enough to eat it! Of course, in a 10 gallon tank- you dint have much biological room for anything of size.

As far as plants and a crayfish- it's a maybe. Ives seen them nit bother plants too bad, and have also seen a tank destroyed by crayfish shredding plants. So it's a gamble (but would look cool!)

Crayfish and shrimp? Only if you plan on the shrimp being dinner for the crayfish!

On the other hand- baby crayfish make excellent live food for cichlids and other carnivores!

I saw a blue single clawed cray at the store and thought it would be less dangerous. I've had one lose a leg and it grew back. But can they grow a new claw?
Yes, it may take a couple of molts, but it's claw will grow back.

Does anyone have any experience with moss balls and crayfish???
My dwarf crays feed on moss balls a bit. They are small enough not to do any damage, but a larger cray would tear it up.

Back
Top Bottom