Blue crayfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco11771

Aquarium Advice Freak
So just out of curiosity does anyone have one of these inverts? Any advice? I was thinking about a 10 gallon with 2 HOB filters, sand and river rocks stacked for a cave plus plants. Ok? Or any other suggestions? It would be the only thing in the tank

i don't have one. but i do suppose it should be fine;) make sure to cover the intakes with sponges so they don't lose any parts.........
plants might be moved/destroyed, but not sure;) i do hardy plants like java ferns and anubias to be safe........

You don't need to cover the intakes IMO...I don't need to do that even for tiny dwarf crays.

A 10 gal won't make a permanent home for one, but it can be a grow-out tank for 6 mos - year maybe, depending on the size the cray is at the time of purchase. Fake plants would be best, my blue cray gives even fakes a good trimming! lol I do keep some anacharis with him, since it's so cheap and fast growing I don't really mind what he does with it. As a permanent home it will need atleast a 20L.

I had him in a 10 gal for prob about 8 mos after I got him. Now he's in his 20L. I'd say his body right now is about 3-4", but then his pincers are huge and stick out further. Tail to pincers he's probably 6" long.

siva said:
I had him in a 10 gal for prob about 8 mos after I got him. Now he's in his 20L. I'd say his body right now is about 3-4", but then his pincers are huge and stick out further. Tail to pincers he's probably 6" long.

I'm really interested in a blue crayfish I think their really cool looking! Can they have tank mates? If so what can you put with them that they won't eat or be eaten by? :)

I would avoid putting really any nice fish may want. They will nip at them any chance they get, especially when they are sleeping and start to sink. You will need fake plants unless you want them ripped out and cut pretty much on a daily basis. I had one about 2 years ago he was fun to watch even molted 3 times in my 37gal. I started to hate him do he killed or nipped at any fish that went down to the ground. He thought he was king of the floor I guess and ripped out every plant. I eventually cooked his butt lol no I just gave him back

i dont think it matters if they are male or female its the attitude they have towards everything in your tank. i say get a cray fish only tank, when it starts to grow anything that fits in its claw is dinner. they start growing pretty big as i said mine molted pretty fast after getting it

Our blue crayfish took out 10 fish before we took him back to the LFS. He looked all nice and social in the daytime. At night he went on Safari...

The cray I am thinking about is 3.5" and from the pic sevrum mama put up of it is what I think to be a female. Ok for a 10 gallon? Or atleast until I get a bigger tank an it'd be the only fish in there

I'm really interested in a blue crayfish I think their really cool looking! Can they have tank mates? If so what can you put with them that they won't eat or be eaten by? :)
Nope, not really. I would keep it by itself. Mine has some MTS(malaysian trumpet snails) with him that he doesn't seem to eat, but that's about it. If you want crays for a community tank, go with dwarfs like CPO's and shufeldtii's.

The cray I am thinking about is 3.5" and from the pic sevrum mama put up of it is what I think to be a female. Ok for a 10 gallon? Or atleast until I get a bigger tank an it'd be the only fish in there
The cray she's offering needs a 20L IMO. I wouldn't put it in a 10 for any longer than it takes for Petcos next $1 per gal sale to pop up so you can score it's new tank for $20. ;)

Wait..OK I just looked at her stock list and the cray in the pic there looks small enough to be in a 10 for a while, but in her thread about it (if it's the same cray) I thought it looked too big. I would ask severum directly what she thinks. :)

Sweet! Yeah if you have a Petco I would watch for that sale. I kicked myself when I spend $39.99 for my 20L and then it went on sale for $20 like a month later. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom