Blue-Green Algae (Cyanobacteria)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daylilly

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm having this problem in my tank
How do I stop it

Please help

How long has the tank been set up? What do you have in the tank? What is its volume. What are the water parameters?

Need more info about the tank to properly advise you on this one...size of tank, filtration, water flow rate, water testing ( especially nitrates) how often do you feed, how often do you water change and how much per time? How long has the tank been set up? And what do you have in there for animals (cleanup crew especially)

Ok so it's a 75 gallon tank. I do weekly water changes. Turns out I was taking out less water then what I should have. On thrusday I did a 15% water change. I feed once a day sometimes I think I feed too much so I have cut down on the amount I give them. I feed them pellet food. When i give frozen it just goes all over the tank and is messy and I don't think the fish get to it so I try not to give that. I have two korlia 4 power heads on either side. Aquaclear filter running with carbon only in it. Skimmer is on the way already ordered it. I just tested my water it's
20 nitrate
0 nirite
180 alkanlanity
8.4 ph

I used the quick dip strips.

I have snails and crabs for a clean up crew about 15 each not sure
I also have a conch just one I don't know if I need more. I have a 75 gallon tank.

Please help

the cleanup crew isn't going to matter. it's a nutrient issue. even if the crabs eat the food that hits the bottom, it is still in the tank. it will not leave the tank unless you remove it.
whatever you can do to export nutrients will help.
water changes, protein skimmer, refugium.....

Feed just enough food which the fish will consume and less is more. I went through the same problem. Hair algae all over the tank. I pulled the majority out by hand and spent the money on a phosban reactor. It is worth the money and spend the extra money on the media which does release the phosphate etc. it absorbs. Worth it's weight in gold. I run the media continually and change it every month or so.

Back
Top Bottom