Blue Green Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't think there is a type of algae that I haven't had in my tanks. :banghead:

I have just noticed some BGA (which I am aware that it is a bacteria and not an algae at all) in my betta's tank. I do 25% PWC each week, and gravel vacuum every other week or more often if needed. What causes this ugly mess and what is the best way to get rid of the stuff?

Anybody got some advice? Don't mean to be annoying, but only remedies I have seen are erythromiacin or hydrogen peroxide.

It is in my betta's tank, and I have been keeping it immaculate (except for the bga and a little hair algae). The params are:

Temp: 77*F
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: Unknown (I don't have a test kit)

I preform 20-25% PWC's at least once a week, with gravel vacuums during each PWC. I just don't know because I have been trying so hard to keep his tank in tip top shape. I am thinking about putting the betta in a cup, and doing a complete tear down and rebuild. I have two healthy tanks so cycling would be a cake walk.

How big is ur Betta tank? If u do decide to put him in a cup remember to acclimate him before u introduce him back into his tank. And u should get nitrate. With a nitrate kit we can work out a solution to counter ur bga

Sorry, it is a 5 gallon tank. It is planted, so I would imagine with my PWC schedule and the plants the nitrates would be kept within acceptable limits. I just wish there was a better way to get rid of it. I don't even know why it has taken off in the first place.

Thanks

That is very counter intuative! The whole reason I planted the tank was to keep them low and because I love the look of live plants. Now I find out that is likely the reason for my bga. I feel like giving up! :facepalm:

Haha I did some research it says that blur green algae is hard to get rid off but it's not impossible. Just alot of physical removal and pwc! And do u have a strong water current in ur tank? What kinda filter do u vace

I have a slightly underpowered filter (rated for 3 gallons, but has nice flow), but I use a baffle to redirect the flow. I have noticed that it is in low flow areas, but also growing on plants directly in the current. I tried to keep the current minimal on purpose because it is for a betta. I am going through the same thing with tread algae (thought it was hair algae, but plantgeek corrected me).

adadkins1 said:
I have a slightly underpowered filter (rated for 3 gallons, but has nice flow), but I use a baffle to redirect the flow. I have noticed that it is in low flow areas, but also growing on plants directly in the current. I tried to keep the current minimal on purpose because it is for a betta. I am going through the same thing with tread algae (thought it was hair algae, but plantgeek corrected me).

Ya I read that blue green algae forms in place with low current. I don't think ur Betta will suffer at all if u have a more powerful filter, I have a Betta in a 10 gallon with Aquaclear 70 that's rated for up to 70gallons! And my Betta health is Better than ever, he's building bubble nest, he's active and his color is more vibrant and deeper than ever! Haha he found his quiet spot where the flow is the lowest and that is his territory! :) but all u can do now is physically removing the Algae and increase ur pwc! Also don't overfeed! What and how much are u feeding Ur betta anyways?

adadkins1 said:
I will try more pwc's. I feed him 3 or 4 pellets max each day and fast on Sundays.

That's good then. Ya try more pwc and removing it urself. Hope it all works out. There is a chemical solution but Im not a fan of using chemical for anything aquarium related

Back
Top Bottom