Blue/green algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolfpulse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone had the experience of blacking out a tank with blue/green algae in it. We are about to try this method.

Haven't had to try it... But I've also read about blacking out the tank for a few days. After that, you can then try putting your lights on a 4hr on 4hr off cycle.

Blackout does work (y) I went away for a long weekend and when I came back it was dead. It was second time I had done it. First time I didn't wait long enough. I also did a large WC after I came home. Brushed/vacuumed off the dead stuff.

I also started using DIY co2 after I rid the tank of it and also began using the 4 hour lighting cycle. Haven't had it return...yet :whistle:

Sounds good. I thought of 3 to 4 days. I took all fish out only have snails in. I did a massive gravel vac and water change. Trimmed all plants.

I have never heard of this 4 hour light cycle?? Can u explain a bit more.

The idea is the algae doesn't get enough sustained light
For them to grow etc but doesn't impact plants. Simplest thing is to put the
Tank lights on a timer. I haven't had to use this method...
But other members have posted success.

4 hours of lights on followed by 4 hours off, followed by 4 hours on...

I have mine on from 7am-11am, then off from 11am-3pm, then on from 3pm until about 7pm, sometimes I keep them on a little longer. Then they are off until 7am and the cycle continues.

I split bulbs as well...From 7am-9am it's only 2 bulbs(54wx2), then it goes to 4 from 9am-11am. Then I use all 4 from 3pm-5pm, then cut to 2 from 5pm-7pm.

Fish and plants don't seem to mind and the cyano hasn't shown up since. For some reason, my RTS seems to be out in the open more since I changed schedules, but that could just be coincidence.

I have lights on timer just not 4 hours. And you say 4 hours a day is enough per day

Ok 4 on 4 off 4 on. I will see if the black out works and then maybe try this light schedule.

8 - 10 hours a day. I have found 8 seems to be enough, but I occasionally stretch it until 10 if I want to see "daytime" tank.

If you don't have them, blue moonlight LED's are great for lighting tank at night. You can see but it won't contribute to algae growth. I like the way it looks as well.

Last edited:
I have tried LEDs at night but we moved to Germany last year and I am slowly building my aquarium hobby back up. Soon. Yes it looks cool at night. Thx for the info cheers

So i covered the tank for 4 days. Total darkness and now I have the cyanobacteria back again :(
Any other suggestions?

Keep your tank real clean, good amount of water changes, and slack back food and light if possible, on tanks with no plants I only run my tube lights when it gets dark for a few hours and it seems to help instead of waking up and turning light on and leaving on all day

I only have lights on 8 hours a day. I have a fully planted tank with CO2 injection with pH regulator. The plants are growing very well. Its just the cyano is creeping alone. I clean them out then 2 weeks later still coming back. I have tried to cut back on food. Now done to once a day with one day out.

Wolfpulse said:
I only have lights on 8 hours a day. I have a fully planted tank with CO2 injection with pH regulator. The plants are growing very well. Its just the cyano is creeping alone. I clean them out then 2 weeks later still coming back. I have tried to cut back on food. Now done to once a day with one day out.

Sounds like a good plan, MFDRookie had a very good idea to cut back algae, he has a timer that he has set to come on at 8am in the morning then turn off at noon them come back on at 4pm then back off again at 8pm he said it worked for him, not sure of his setup but defiantly worth a try, send him a pm thanking himfor it too lol it's an extremely good idea

What is your nitrate reading?

I've read that zero nitrates can be a factor with BGA.

If you're nitrates are zero, dosing with nitrates may help.

Last i check which was a few weeks ago they were low well almost none exsistent. <0,01

Last i check which was a few weeks ago they were low well almost none exsistent. <0,01

Nitrites or Nitrates?

If Nitrates are zero, you could try dosing it with KNO3 up to about 20 or so. Then just keep your eye on the levels and try to keep it around 20 and that they don't fall too far. See if that helps.

Do you have a lot of fish in the tank, or is it lightly stocked?

Nitrates.
I have 8 discus, 2 rams, 21 cardinals and a L134.
They eat once a day. And i do my weekly water changes.
I thinkI will try raise the nitrates.
Thanks for the advice. I will keep a post of what happens.
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom