Blue Ram issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rimshotnhavoc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am having issues with my ram tank, all but one of the fish have died, I brought one back to store before it died and employee said it looked like a fungus, they quarantined the fish and tried to save it, I have no clue the out come. About a week or so later another died and then today the 3rd died, I check the tank regularly and everything is at a good range I believe, the Nitrate levels are a bit high but I do regular water changes to keep it at a safe level. There is one balloon ram left. All the fish have seemed fine then suddenly get "drunk" and die shortly after.
They tank does get a lot of algae growth since it is in a well lit area. Any advice? I know that 4 in a 10 gal is a lot but once they got a little bigger I was planning on upgrading. either way there is only 1 now and I would like to keep him alive, and if i can't I want to know why I am having trouble with this tank. I have another tank that I have no issues with at all and am getting ready to move that fish to a larger tank since it is doing so well.

50 % water change every 48 hours. 10 is too small. What is the nitrate at?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nitrate is at 40 (water change is today and usually after a 30% change it goes down to 10-20ppm)
Nitrite is 0
Ammonia is .0 to .25
ph is 7

even with only one in there now is a 10 to small ? It is a tiny young fish they all were

Need to keep it below 20 with rams IMO. 10 may work for a while if small but I believe a 20 is better.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

well I am officially over the 10 gal i have had nothing but problems with this tank my other one at home does great, looking into a 30 gal! but i guess i am wondering if the one fish had a fungus can the others catch it? and what i can to do to make sure water and bio filter are safe or at least the bio filter. there is a penguin power wheel filter for up to 30 gals and want to use it on the bigger tank when i get it .

Any ammonia can be toxic. Zero is the only number you want to see.

I would have been dosing Prime daily and doing daily PWCs if needed to keep Ammonia at Zero.

Nitrates over 20 bother some fish.

Rams are VERY sensitive to water conditions, that's why we recommend them for Established tanks over 6mo, that are fully cycled and stable. Also why I recommend at least a 20Long but 30g or larger is better. Larger tanks tend to stay stable easier and not pollute so fast.

I'm sorry you lost your fish. 4 Rams in a 10g just sounds super stressful to me. Good luck with the survivor.

I'm always skeptical of stocking with the idea of upgrading. When you don't already have the bigger tank up and running. I prefer to stock fish that fit in the tank I'm putting them into.

I'm not trying to beat you over the head. Just writing in part for those that read these threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom