Blue ram questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
I might get a male and female ram today and just want to know some basic info on them. They will be in a 26 gallon community tank with tetras, Cory cats, a Platy, a dwarf gourami, an albino pleco, and a male betta.

Will they be okay with these fish?

Do yet require a certain ph?

Are they aggressive ?

They are such pretty fish and would love to add a mating pair to my tank :)

I might get a male and female ram today and just want to know some basic info on them. They will be in a 26 gallon community tank with tetras, Cory cats, a Platy, a dwarf gourami, an albino pleco, and a male betta.

Will they be okay with these fish?

Do yet require a certain ph?

Are they aggressive ?

They are such pretty fish and would love to add a mating pair to my tank :)

How long has the tank been set up and what are the parameters? Rams are pretty sensitive to nitrates and other toxins but some are more hardy than others, Bolivian rams are probably the most hardy. Which ram are you wanting to get? I have electric blue rams and German blue rams in my tank and yes they are great and pretty fish. They prefer ph around 6.8 but a steady ph is more important. They're not really aggressive although they might claim a territory so keep an eye on your bottom dwellers, pairs may or may not be more aggressive than a single ram.

I would advise not to get one with the male betta. Bettas are like cats, curious, and curiosity killed the cat you know.

How long has the tank been set up and what are the parameters? Rams are pretty sensitive to nitrates and other toxins but some are more hardy than others, Bolivian rams are probably the most hardy. Which ram are you wanting to get? I have electric blue rams and German blue rams in my tank and yes they are great and pretty fish. They prefer ph around 6.8 but a steady ph is more important. They're not really aggressive although they might claim a territory so keep an eye on your bottom dwellers, pairs may or may not be more aggressive than a single ram.

I'm thinking electric blue rams. I've heard there sensitive to water conditions , but mine are stable.

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Ph 7.2

I might need to get my ph down a little bit, and my tank has been established for a year now.

What temperature water do they like. Mine 80 degrees at the moment but I can lower it.

I would advise not to get one with the male betta. Bettas are like cats, curious, and curiosity killed the cat you know.

Would the betta be aggressive towards the rams or would it be the other way around? I have a desperate tank I can move him to of they don't get along so I'm not to worried about him

The male betta might check out the ram, ram takes it the wrong way, betta gets hurt or killed. It usually happens at night.

I'd hate to be the party pooper, but I would refrain from putting German rams in this tank. There's simply too many fishes in there and I just don't see a peaceful environment.

Your pH and tank temperature are fine, by the way. I've bred rams in pH higher than yours.

David

I'd hate to be the party pooper, but I would refrain from putting German rams in this tank. There's simply too many fishes in there and I just don't see a peaceful environment.

Your pH and tank temperature are fine, by the way. I've bred rams in pH higher than yours.

David

There's only

1 black skirt tetra
1 red and blue tetra
3 neon tetras
1 dwarf gourami
1 red Platy
2 spotted Cory cats
1 albino pleco
1 mystery snail ( I think my other one died, he hasn't moved in a few days :( )

Is there really not enough room for him?

I have another tank I can move a few tetras and the Platy to if I really have to. I want two of these lil guys soooo bad !

Personally, I prefer larger schools of two or three species per tank, than to have one or two of many different species. Just more natural...

David

There's only

1 black skirt tetra
1 red and blue tetra
3 neon tetras
1 dwarf gourami
1 red Platy
2 spotted Cory cats
1 albino pleco
1 mystery snail ( I think my other one died, he hasn't moved in a few days :( )

Is there really not enough room for him?

I have another tank I can move a few tetras and the Platy to if I really have to. I want two of these lil guys soooo bad !

Not just personal preference. Tetras need 5+ per species.

Personally, I prefer larger schools of two or three species per tank, than to have one or two of many different species. Just more natural...

David

I know, my 3 neons stick together and them my black skirt tetra and red and blue tetra hangout. I had the numbers to about 4 each a year ago and those 2 are the only ones that survived out of the small schools. They are very old and I don't want to add more to the school.

I would like to eventually redo my stock and add an angelfish with a mating pair of rams, and a couple other pretty fish. :) I have a separate tank with all my live bearers in it and I moved my red platy out of it because all 3 of my females are about to drop but I will eventually put him back with the girls once they have their babies :)

What would be a good stock list once I get all my fish sorted out and I don't have the tetras anymore . I can move the neons to the other tank to if it doesn't get overstocked.

I was thinking :

1 betta ( already have )
1 dwarf gourami ( already have )
1 angelfish (or maybe a mating pair?)
2 electric blue rams ( mating pair)
1 albino pleco (already have)
2 spotted Cory's ( already have)

What would you do? I definitely have to have the rams and the fish I already have not including the tetras. :)

I know, my 3 neons stick together and them my black skirt tetra and red and blue tetra hangout. I had the numbers to about 4 each a year ago and those 2 are the only ones that survived out of the small schools. They are very old and I don't want to add more to the school.

I would like to eventually redo my stock and add an angelfish with a mating pair of rams, and a couple other pretty fish. :) I have a separate tank with all my live bearers in it and I moved my red platy out of it because all 3 of my females are about to drop but I will eventually put him back with the girls once they have their babies :)

What would be a good stock list once I get all my fish sorted out and I don't have the tetras anymore . I can move the neons to the other tank to if it doesn't get overstocked.

I was thinking :

1 betta ( already have )
1 dwarf gourami ( already have )
1 angelfish (or maybe a mating pair?)
2 electric blue rams ( mating pair)
1 albino pleco (already have)
2 spotted Cory's ( already have)

What would you do? I definitely have to have the rams and the fish I already have not including the tetras. :)

In the suggested list you have 4 centre piece fish.. The angel will soon outgrow a 26 gallon, no anglefish The betta and gourami will most likely fight, so I'd pick 1. The rams are pushing the bottom territory because they will have a large part staked out leaving almost no room for Cory's and the pleco.

In the suggested list you have 4 centre piece fish.. The angel will soon outgrow a 26 gallon, no anglefish The betta and gourami will most likely fight, so I'd pick 1. The rams are pushing the bottom territory because they will have a large part staked out leaving almost no room for Cory's and the pleco.

I guess ill pass on the angels /:

Everyone tells me my dwarf gourami and betta will fight but I've had them in the tank together already and they haven't fought so I'm not worried about them. My betta is very lazy and docile , mostly hangs out around the heater and swims in the plants.

There's plenty of caves and plants and rocks at the bottom and my pleco is the glass most of time and the Cory's have a little spot behind the plants where they hangout. I'm sure the rams wouldn't be a problem. I really want them!

I didn't ask for everyone to critic my current stock. I know it's not the best but its definitely not the worst!

I just want a mating pair of rams and to keep a couple other colorful fish once my current stock thins out or I get a different tank to move them to.

What are some ideas.? I can move the other fish if I have to but I honestly don't think they will be to much of a problem.

Angelfish and rams in a 26-gallon? Nope. Especially mating pairs of both species...heck no!

A betta and a dwarf gourami? Nope. They are both labyrinth fish that will compete for the same water column, and everything associated with it.

I would go with 8 cardinal tetras, 2 German rams, a male and a female, and 6 marbled hatchet fish. That would make for a clean colorful tank.

David

David

Back
Top Bottom