Blue ram sexing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purpurin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I bought two blue ram on my lfs today. The guy said that is a pair of male and female.

After searching sexing guide for blue ram, they both look like female to me. Can anyone help me identify if I got 2 females or a male and a female?

The one with redder belly (facing left) is smaller than the other if that helps.

Thank you in advance!

IMG_5644.jpgIMG_5639.jpg

Yea they are both females 99%
Look for pointed fins and for the anal fin to go beyond the beginning of the tail for a male.

Yea they are both females 99%
Look for pointed fins and for the anal fin to go beyond the beginning of the tail for a male.

I thought so... I'll see if I can get one of them swapped for a male.

Thank you for replying :)

Swap one of them out. I think I may have 1 male n 1 female now

The one facing left is my presumed male, facing right is female.

[[IMG_5740.jpgATTACH]292565[/ATTACH]ATTACH]292563[/ATTACH]IMG_5740.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5747.jpg
    IMG_5747.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5746.jpg
    IMG_5746.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 68
Hard to tell at this point IMO.

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/images/imported/2010/04/722.jpg

This is a very good picture of a male

1. When looking at the dorsal fin you want to look at the extended posterior (back end of the fin) is long and pointed and the anterior rays (front part closer to the head) are longer and pointed.

2. In the dark spot behind the paired fins there should be less blue scales than the female.

3. The males won't have a pink gravid spot on their belly like a female should show.

I am going to guess female again...
If you keep going back to the same store you need to pick the biggest one IMO...
There is a chance if this is box store they get their rams from suppliers/farms like Segrest who seems to sort by size, therefore sending huge batches of same sex rams out...
Happens all the time at the box stores near me...I asked finally one day why all females and they said Segrest never sends them different sexes in same shipment !
That is when I formed my opinion they sort by size...You see I breed rams still today and have thousands...Females are almost always [95%] smaller if the fish are same age...
Good luck they can be very hard to see much else for sexing in the pet store atmosphere.

I think I'll just see how it goes for now [emoji23]

Too hard to try and sex them. If it's male n female I'll be happy, if not then oh well. The only reason why I want different sex is because I heard they could be territorial.
As long as they don't kill each other I'll be happy :)
The lfs said that there are male n female in the tank - this is a small fish shop in one of the suburb here in Perth.

You almost qualified for personal delivery!
Sorry man, although I would love to meet up with you!

Hahahaha. Too bad it's Perth in Australia.
So hard to get many things here because of quarantine issue :/

Back
Top Bottom